Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When to start using bed flat sheet and blankets?

I was curious how old or what signs you looked for before giving your kids bed a flat sheet and full size blankets or comforter? Do you tuck them in good around the edges so they don't get tangles in them?

My son has been in a twin car bed since spring but just using the toddler blanket (a big homemade thin comforter type one that is about the actual dimensions of a crib). On his twin is actually reaches the side edges of the bed spread out and from the bottom to about the bottom of his pillow (with no one under it). But he almost always kicks it off and I just dress him appropriately for no blankets.

With Winter coming I was thinking it might be nice if he used the top sheet and twin blanket I got on his bed to keep him warmer (even with the house 67 degress last night he was cool around the edges (wearing long sleeves, sweatpants and socks) but I'm not sure if I should. We don't have the heat on yet but when we do we keep it 66-68 at night (we would to 66 if I weren't worried about the kids).

He is 3 years 8 months.

Thoughts?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 09-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to start using bed sheets?

My 5 and 6 year olds don't have bed sheets. It's just one more thing for them to make a fort out of, and I would have to remake them every night. They each have their own comforter, and fleece blanket on their bed.

ETA: They have the FITTED sheet over the mattress, just not the extra sheet to cover up with on top.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids have always had the top sheet. As soon as they moved to the Toddler bed from the crib they had a top sheet and now in their full and twin beds they have a top sheet. I just tuck it in at the bottom and for the most part it stays tucked in there even with how rough they sleep.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I'd say when they can keep them on. My 21 month old is in a twin bed but she rolls all around so I have her in a sleep sack that fits until 4. The sheets kinda useless if they're just going to kick it off in the night, right?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 09-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I don't have flat sheets on the kids beds. They have a fitted sheet, and a comforter and two pillows. They all make their own beds and for sanity's sake we stick to what simple and looks good with minimal work. If they had regular beds and not bunks I may thinks differently.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had sheets and conforter when he was 21 months and moved to a car bed. Never tucked the sheets in all that tight.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

My three year old doesn't like the top sheet - it always ends up kicked down to the bottom of the bed - so he just uses a duvet and duvet cover from Ikea. I wash the cover reasonably often but he is usually bathed before bed so it stays clean. He has had the duvet since he was about 18 months? He started staying under it around 2.5 but would just sleep on or beside it before that. He's super hot blooded, though, so he never minded not being covered.

DH hates top sheets, too.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
safghf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
My three year old doesn't like the top sheet - it always ends up kicked down to the bottom of the bed - so he just uses a duvet and duvet cover from Ikea. I wash the cover reasonably often but he is usually bathed before bed so it stays clean. He has had the duvet since he was about 18 months? He started staying under it around 2.5 but would just sleep on or beside it before that. He's super hot blooded, though, so he never minded not being covered.

DH hates top sheets, too.
We did the same thing. Both kids hate sheets, so this allows us to have the blanket and keep it clean. We bought two duvets/pillowcases and basic white fitted sheets. The duvets get washed like the sheets. Both kids love them and its super easy to make the beds each day.
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have all had sheets on their bed as soon as they moved out of their crib.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD went to a toddler bed (crib daybed really) at around 2.5...I found the toddler bed sheets to be too short to tuck, really, so she did with just a tucked throw blanket for a while. Then it was too hot for them & I actually just tucked twin topsheets on the toddler bed. DD LOVES it & would rather sleep w/ just a sheet than a blanket (she's a very hot kid). In a pinch, I've even used a twin fitted...she likes that we can loop the elastic under the mattress & then the other end over her shoulders.