Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Curious to have opinions of both believers and nonbelievers
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Nonbeliever here. Never without permission. Religious beliefs are a deeply personal choice.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Nonbeliever here. Never without permission. Religious beliefs are a deeply personal choice.
I am a believer and agree w/ this however, we wont change the way we do things just because of others that believe differently.

Last edited by coffeemama; 10-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
coffeemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
Exactly. I would be so freaked out if DS came home one day raving about the Prophet Muhammad or any religious figurehead. I also want to know ahead of time what might be discussed about Christ (we are "believers") just so I'm prepared.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No.imo it is not appropriate without consent and I would find that a breach of trust and would cut ties with them. My exinlaws who are religious know.this is.a hard boundary for and I and know.the consequences if they ever did that.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 10-02-2013 at 09:18 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
No.imo it is not appropriate without consent and I would find that a breach of trust and would cut ties with them. My exinlaws who are religious know.this is.a hard boundary for and I and know.the consequences if they ever did that.
This. Including the in laws. Except mine aren't ex.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Atheist here. No it it not cool without permission

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Without parental consent, no.

Now, we DO share the Gospel with the neighborhood kids that hang out in our yard all day. It is part of our day. We read our Bibles in our yard while having a picnic. We talk about these things when they aren't here. But, these kids are in my yard, with no parents to be seen for hours. So, I don't consider it the same thing. We do not evangelize/prostelyize to young children when we go out street evangelizing/preaching unless the parents are there and aware.

Oh, I am sure it is all pretty obvious, but we are believers/born again Christians here I didn't think to mention that the first time, but I guess I should just in case, huh?

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!

Last edited by MommyLyssa; 10-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
Without parental consent, no.

Now, we DO share the Gospel with the neighborhood kids that hang out in our yard all day. It is part of our day. We read our Bibles in our yard while having a picnic. We talk about these things when they aren't here. But, these kids are in my yard, with no parents to be seen for hours. So, I don't consider it the same thing. We do not evangelize/prostelyize to young children when we go out street evangelizing/preaching unless the parents are there and aware.

Oh, I am sure it is all pretty obvious, but we are believers/born again Christians here I didn't think to mention that the first time, but I guess I should just in case, huh?
If neighbor kids were in my yard while I read The God Delusion aloud to my kids and discussed atheism, I would stop and tell the children that we are discussing personal beliefs, and that if they want to join they should go ask their parents to come out and chat first. I'm not saying I would hide the book, or that you should hide your bible, but it just seems polite to talk to the parents first, especially since they might have no idea there is religion being discussed. I'm sure if it were your kids in my yard you would appreciate me checking in with you in that situation.

ETA: Like others, I'm perfectly fine with stating that you are religious, or that you believe X or don't believe Y. And if I send my kid for a sleep over I will probably tell the parent's before hand that we're atheist so please don't be offended if my child sits quietly but does not pray at the table, etc. My concern with the situation you described is that if I assume my kid is playing tag, but instead he is reading bible verses, well that's pretty different. KWIM?

Last edited by Palooka; 10-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
If neighbor kids were in my yard while I read The God Delusion aloud to my kids and discussed atheism, I would stop and tell the children that we are discussing personal beliefs, and that if they want to join they should go ask their parents to come out and chat first. I'm not saying I would hide the book, or that you should hide your bible, but it just seems polite to talk to the parents first, especially since they might have no idea there is religion being discussed. I'm sure if it were your kids in my yard you would appreciate me checking in with you in that situation.

ETA: Like others, I'm perfectly fine with stating that you are religious, or that you believe X or don't believe Y. And if I send my kid for a sleep over I will probably tell the parent's before hand that we're atheist so please don't be offended if my child sits quietly but does not pray at the table, etc. My concern with the situation you described is that if I assume my kid is playing tag, but instead he is reading bible verses, well that's pretty different. KWIM?
The one time we saw the parents, we shared the gospel with them since then, they are no where to be found. They were not invited over. They come. These are not friends. They are neighborhood children that have parents that don't give a poo about them and they all gather here. And after the 3rd time, I don't have the heart to turn them away. That is the difference to me.

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!

Last edited by MommyLyssa; 10-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote