Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

Tell me about chores/rewards

My boys need a better system- my current system of giving check marks is not working. They are 3.5 & 6. It works for the 3.5 year old. Not at ALL for the 6 year old. Thought about giving "tokens" for ipad/kindle time?? Just not sure that would work for the 3.5 year old. Have you separated out reward systems???

Give me your thoughts!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've heard accountable kids is great reward system.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
I've heard accountable kids is great reward system. ***I know how to write, my iPod does not***

I bought this at the last co op and finally implemented last weekend. so far, both kids really like it, esp the 5 year old. We started it for the 5 year old, the youngest is a bit too young for it, but is going along for the ride.
As they do their daily tasks, they earn tickets that can be turned in for privileges. Extra chores earns extra privileges or $$ for buying special things, depending on age, how you want to do it.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I don't give regular rewards for doing chores. They are expected of them. We do punish for not doing chores. Depending on the child is the punishment. My 8, 6, and 3 yo will have to go to bed as soon as diner is over, that is the kiss of death for them! I will take my 13 yo phone from her. My 10yo will have to sweep the dining room, kitchen, and foyer under my supervision.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about chores/rewards

We take away privileges when chores are not done. No rewards. Chores are just part of life.

ETA: my 12 year old doesn't really care about many privileges, so she gets extra work assigned if she slacks off on her chores. My six and eight year old care about tv, so they will lose that. My 15 year old is lost without her iPod, so she loses that when her chores aren't done.

Last edited by syfitz; 10-29-2013 at 01:33 PM.
syfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz
We take away privileges when chores are not done. No rewards. Chores are just part of life.

ETA: my 12 year old doesn't really care about many privileges, so she gets extra work assigned if she slacks off on her chores. My six and eight year old care about tv, so they will lose that. My 15 year old is lost without her iPod, so she loses that when her chores aren't done.
This!
We also assign extra chores when they slack, because somedays the lack of privileges just isn't enough.
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
I don't give regular rewards for doing chores. They are expected of them. We do punish for not doing chores. Depending on the child is the punishment. My 8, 6, and 3 yo will have to go to bed as soon as diner is over, that is the kiss of death for them! I will take my 13 yo phone from her. My 10yo will have to sweep the dining room, kitchen, and foyer under my supervision.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post

This.

Take stuff away. Chores are not rewarded here. They just do them. Extra chores (garage cleaning or yard cleaning) can earn money.

Stick to it. Just keep showing them how to do it and expect it to be done.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No rewards here either. If they didn't pick up when told then what is not put away gets taken for a few days
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I am going to try this method.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Is it okay if I hijack this thread with my own question?

The last year or so I've been a lot better about having my kids help out with chores. My oldest (DS7) will sometimes have a great attitude and sometimes he fights it tooth and nail. Assigning him extra chores for not getting his chores done sends him into this downward spiral of anger and attitude. It's terrible and definitely not at all effective. How do you deal with a kid who does that?
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote