Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
gbird1
Registered Users

My Mood:
pacifiers--what do you think?

Im on the verge of putting a binkie in my almost 6 week old's mouth! I feed her til she's full, she often falls asleep and pops it out, and I drain both breasts, and she's got lots of full dipes. Lately she's been getting more fussy, and especially last night in her cosleeper, she's been waking up fidgeting in her swaddle immediately after I put her down after feedings, and I think she may stay asleep longer if I use a binkie. I feel like we have established ourselves pretty well breastfeeding, she's gaining steadily now. I didn't want to rely on a binkie, and I still plan to nurse the same amount of feedings. But Im also not getting anything done in between feedings anymore, even eating like I should.

What do you all think about pacifiers, and limiting its use? Im lucky, she has been a good baby, often sitting contentedly in her vibrator chair for up to a half hour after feedings, giving me time to eat, etc. But recently, not the case...maybe a growth spurt, but will my breasts support it?? I feel so drained at the end!
gbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

Some babies just have a strong desire to suck. I don't think a binkie will hurt her she will either take to it or not. You don't sound like one of those mammas that will use it just to keep her quite. My DD is 6mths and she needs it to go to sleep or otherwise she would be using me as a paci. She has had it since the hospital and we never had nipple confusion. HTH
carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I've raised three without pacifiers, but each kid is different. She may need it. Will it hurt to try it in your situation?

Go with your gut. I think that's why us moms have them!!!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Some babies don't like being swaddled. Mine liked being propped up after nursing at that age. It helped them burp without spitting up. We never did pacifiers. If my babies were fussy, I would put them in a sling and move around. That worked for us. But all babies are different. If a binkie seems like it would help her be more content, try it. Don't be surprised if she won't have anything to do with it. Some babies just don't go for pacifiers.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Where are you in Southeast? We used to live on POW!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

nak
DS needed it. DD doesn't, she actually gags on them. She gets her comfort from being worn, so I carry her most of the day. DS needed his mouth filled. Kid's are different. He only got his "sucker" in bed or the carseat or when was having a bad day, ie sick or shots, teething etc. and then only till he calmed down.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
gbird1
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
Where are you in Southeast? We used to live on POW!
hey! i live in Petersburg, how long did you live on POW? Where did you live?

Also, I totally use my moby wrap with her,too. Thats what she naps in during the day. I just usually put her in there after an activity time. Now her activity time is shorter, she fusses earlier. And sometimes I just get tired of putting that thing back on,then off,then on again!

thanks!
gbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All three of my boys were bf and took plugs (what we call them round here ). I love them. I WISH my dd would take one! She did for a short time, but usually only in the car. By 6mo, she stopped. What's really crazy is that my 3rd DS didn't take one until he was 6mo! Anyway, as long as breastfeeding is well-established and you're offering the breast first, you should be fine!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Pookie2804
Banned
seller

My Mood:

oh and about being swaddled my youngest HATED it at the hospital they drove me nuts telling me i needed to swaddle him he would scream and scream
Pookie2804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
KarenK
Registered Users

I don't even want to think about how it would have been without binkies in our house! LOL

I'm all for them.

Sewing is my therapy.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote