Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
keithsmom03
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: north carolina
Posts: 28
parents of autistic children

hey, there was a post on the old ds for parents with autistic children. i just wanted to say hey. i went to the neurologist today and we have now been given a formal diagnosis of high functioning autism. im still trying to take it all in, even though i knew that it was probably so, i still felt in shock about it, and sad as well. i just wanted to talk.

heather marie
keithsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
tatertots's Avatar
tatertots
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Altus OK
Posts: 3,303
My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

I just want to say I know exactly what you are going through. My son was diagnosed with high functioning autism a couple of years ago. He is doing pretty good. He is really far behind with his speech and a lot with his personal social. He has to go see a ST 3 times a week and now he will have to go see an OT also.
If you ever need to talk I am here. How old is your DS? Mine is 4
__________________
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
keithsmom03
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: north carolina
Posts: 28
Re: parents of autistic children

hey, he is 3. he has been in speech for almost 1 3/4yrs, ot for almost a year, and behavioral mod therapy for almost 2yrs. he was in play therapy but she didnt do anything that i couldnt do with him so i pulled him from that. he is doing fairly well in speech, but is behind in his gross motor skills, fine motor, and etc like that. and is lacking majorly in the social area as well. also in play. his development according to his ot, is that of about a 13mo to 21mo and a few areas are scattered from 28mos to 31mos. he has always been behind, but has fallen even further behind. at least i know now though and can go from there with what to do next. a friend of mine gave me some info on places i can call and things that i can do to get more info, and my bhmt for my son borrowed me a book to read called playing, laughing and learning with children on the autism spectrum last week when we were discussing how she thought that he was but it was hard to tell because there were a few questionable areas. ive only gotten 2chs read so far well anyways. it is good to know that there are people that i can talk to. thanks

heather marie
keithsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Jaz_Trio's Avatar
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 140
Re: parents of autistic children

(((HUGS MOMMA))) Zachary has not been diagnonsed with autisum, but has sensory intergration dysfunction, which is on the spectrum. He's 29 1/2 months old and says one word, though is very smart in other area's. He's also starting to show more "signs" including lots of repeating things/activities over and over as well as some "hurtful" behavors that seem not to bother him at all.

Anyway, he too is in OT and Speech, has been for 8 months now, each of them come once a week then he is in a special OT play group once a week too....I feel your pain and wish you good luck, lots of prayers and (((HUGS)))
__________________
Jenn; Aubrey (7); Zachary (35 1/2 months)
Owner of All Natural Mommies ~ Mei Tais, Pouches, Shopping Cart Covers - Check out out new Nursing Mei Tai! - Shipping FREE over 75.00
Jaz_Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
tatertots's Avatar
tatertots
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Altus OK
Posts: 3,303
My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz_Trio
(((HUGS MOMMA))) Zachary has not been diagnonsed with autisum, but has sensory intergration dysfunction, which is on the spectrum. He's 29 1/2 months old and says one word, though is very smart in other area's. He's also starting to show more "signs" including lots of repeating things/activities over and over as well as some "hurtful" behavors that seem not to bother him at all.

Anyway, he too is in OT and Speech, has been for 8 months now, each of them come once a week then he is in a special OT play group once a week too....I feel your pain and wish you good luck, lots of prayers and (((HUGS)))

I am thinking that my Chloe will be the same way here also. She is almost 21 months and dosn't even say one word. She just started walking about a month ago. She kinda copies some of the things we do. She is completly lacking in her Communication, gross motor skills and she is only a little behind in her fine motor and personal-social skills.
She is going to start a program called Sooner Start where a ST and an OT and whoever else they say she will need, will come to the house and work with her. I am hoping she will get better with this. I try to work with her all the time and I am hopefull but I see her on the same path that my son was on at this age.
__________________
Pamela SAHM to Eli 5 and Chloe 2 and a very proud AF WIFE! Expecting #3 in October
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Mom2Mia's Avatar
Mom2Mia
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 125
Re: parents of autistic children

hugs to you mama! Emma is 7 and we just got a diagnosis -well - it's been spread over the past 9 months. She has tourettes, sensory integration dysfunction and high functioning autism - aspergers. Looking back - she had all the sign from very early on - like from a year old on - but we were kinda blind to it - just thought she was a quirky kid and it would work itself out.

Having a diagnosis is the first great step you can take. Now you can be on your way to helping your baby be better.

I'm glad to see there are a lot of mom's here that deal with the same issues - the tourettes is old hat t us by now - the rest is very new and I know I"ll have a lot of questions too!
Mom2Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
janelyb's Avatar
janelyb
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 318
My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertots
I am thinking that my Chloe will be the same way here also. She is almost 21 months and dosn't even say one word. She just started walking about a month ago. She kinda copies some of the things we do. She is completly lacking in her Communication, gross motor skills and she is only a little behind in her fine motor and personal-social skills.
She is going to start a program called Sooner Start where a ST and an OT and whoever else they say she will need, will come to the house and work with her. I am hoping she will get better with this. I try to work with her all the time and I am hopefull but I see her on the same path that my son was on at this age.
Have you had her hearing tested???? My son had a hearing test at 20 months and we found out (just as momy had suspected) he has a mild hearing loss. Definately get evaluations from your Early Intervention programs...good luck!
__________________
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
SandyG's Avatar
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yuma AZ
Posts: 13,777
Re: parents of autistic children

hugs to you sweetie
david is 3 and what he lacks is speech only. he has apraxia but id unno if he has something else. its heartwrenching
hugs to you, imglad to know you got a dx. im bit scared to see a neurologist and dev ped. i dont want to hear he has something else .although he is in target with everything else, he does have his little quirks at times that might be autistic. take care
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
JasonsMama1
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1
Re: parents of autistic children

Hello everyone. I just felt I had to comment. My son is now 4. He was dianosed on the Autism Spectrum last year, and he is also profoundly deaf, in both ears. It has been such a struggle for us, as new, young, first time parents to deal with this. You never think it's going to be your child, you thinnk this could never happen to me. And, when it does, it's devastating. We are having to many problems with speech, and communication and potty training. He's 4 and has no words. he signs only when he wants to and we've taken the total communication approach and nothing seems to be catching on. I think the deafness would be one thing, and then the Autism on top of it really, really interferes with the communication aspect. If anyone has any tips or helpful tricks that would help us out we are open to just about anything at this point. We did speech therapy, and OT and Aural Rehab for the past 2 years and I've seen no advancements. I don't understand what the point it. Thanks!


~Mother In Need!
JasonsMama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
BebeMaker
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18
My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsMama1 View Post
Hello everyone. I just felt I had to comment. My son is now 4. He was dianosed on the Autism Spectrum last year, and he is also profoundly deaf, in both ears. It has been such a struggle for us, as new, young, first time parents to deal with this. You never think it's going to be your child, you thinnk this could never happen to me. And, when it does, it's devastating. We are having to many problems with speech, and communication and potty training. He's 4 and has no words. he signs only when he wants to and we've taken the total communication approach and nothing seems to be catching on. I think the deafness would be one thing, and then the Autism on top of it really, really interferes with the communication aspect. If anyone has any tips or helpful tricks that would help us out we are open to just about anything at this point. We did speech therapy, and OT and Aural Rehab for the past 2 years and I've seen no advancements. I don't understand what the point it. Thanks!


~Mother In Need!
Hugs to you Mama! My dd is 6 and has Autism. I'd totally recommend keeping up with the therapy, especially if your ds seems to enjoy it at all. Is he also in ABA? (Behavioral Therapy?) That's where our dd made her greatest advancements! I'd talk to your doc about it, or ask the school.
BebeMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autism, potty training

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.