Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I want to throw my diapers away!!!!!

They have the stink so bad, I am so tired of battling it!!!!! I don't know what to try at this point. I've poured in a little bleach, I've boiled, I've vinegared, I've boraxed, I've rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. I'm in essence washing diapers on two cycles everytime I wash! The stinkies just keep coming back! HELP - I want to get rid of everything and just start over! It seems like I only had this problem when I started buying used. Please assure me that this can't happen with NEW diapers! I just used prefolds and covers with my son and NEVER had this problem, why is that?

Someone please advise me at this point because I'm about to put all these diapers to rest and start over and dh will have a FIT if I do that.

Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to throw my diapers away!!!!!

Oh, and can my wool get the stinkies too? I don't want all my covers to get "infected" by my diapers. Please tell me that this can't happen!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

I wonder if you tried wet pailing with some TTO if that would help? The instructions that came with my Sea Pearls said that TTO could remove odors, so I wonder if a few drops in a wet pail could help you with the stinkies?

I would *think* that any stinkiness that gets on your wool would be temporary and easily renmoved with a nice long bath in some good-smelling wool wash.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

What kind of diapers are you using?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
ReagansMommy
Registered Users
seller

I usually throw some TTO in with the wash... no stinkies and my stash is new and used....
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think buying new would help. It would just take a bit before it started again.

I have found the only way to keep the stinkies away for good, and not drive myself insane, is to bleach every other wash. I was doing it every 4-5th wash and that just wasn't working. So, every other wash I do a normal routine then take everything but the inserts and plain hemp fitteds and wash those again with a TINY bit of bleach, double rinse. It's the only thing I've found to keep the stinkies 100% gone. This is much easier than all the rinsing and rinsing, adding boiling water, etc. My only problem now is I do have a handful of fitteds that I can't/won't bleach and they can get a little smelly, but not as bad as the inserts. I would seriously go to all prefolds except almost all of mine are dyed or tie dyed and I cn't bleach those either. I HATE using bleach, but it's a tiny amount, maybe 1/8 c, and I too could not stand the stinkies anymore.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagansMommy
I usually throw some TTO in with the wash... no stinkies and my stash is new and used....
Same here!

I also read that SportWash and Borax helps many moms vs stinkies.

GL
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Baileybai
Registered Users

Location: Wherever the Air Force tells us to go. LOL Finally back in San Antonio!

I've found a couple things that work for me. I had some inserts that weren't absorbing at all. They were microfiber and the diaper would leak but when I took the insert out it was barely wet...and they seriously smelled. Anyway, I read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) to add 2-4 scoops of Oxyclean to your wash cycle to strip them. If that didn't work to use Dawn dish soap to scrub them clean. I used the Oxyclean twice and they stopped smelling and started working great.

I started having a problem again when we bought our front loader and I finally decided that it just uses so little water it can't wash everything out. Soooo, I tried setting it to auto soak before the regular wash and double rinse one day. No problems since then. It takes 2 hours to wash the diapers but their clean. I tried to do the wet pail method before I tried the soak thing. Seriously, have you ever tried to dump sopping wet clothes in a front loader without getting it all over you? Don't try it...trust me.

I hope something works for you. I would cry if I had to start all over again...but I can totally understand your frustration.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

We had stink issues when just using a pail but then we switched to a wet pail method with 3 caps full of Bac-Out and no more stinkies.