Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
interesting BC information.. For everyone..

http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

Interesting rates
Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: interesting BC information.. For everyone..

wow!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I can't believe the sponge has a higher rate of pregnancy than withdrawal method!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

questionable, IMO.

Speaking of NFP, I question those rates on that chart. Here's the reason:
Quote:
The WHO (World Health Organization) has performed several large-scale trials that have had a "failure rate" of between 0.3 and 3%, which is as good as any artificial form of birth control. One very large trial performed on about 20,000 Indian women showed a failure rate of less than 0.3%
I'd have to say that the only reason the % for "failure" on NFP is so "high" is because it's so easily reversible each month that at any given time, a couple can switch gears and say "yes" to getting pregnant. And docs are SO fast to insinuate that when a woman comes in pregnant and says she uses NFP, they assume it's a "failure", when the vast majority of couples that use NFP don't see it as a failure.

don't know if I explained that very well, but I question the percentage of failure for NFP because it's typically not a pass/fail system for NFP. kwim?

I need sleep... I don't think I'm explaining this very well. Can someone else that also practices NFP chime in and help me out please?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe the withdrawal method is better than we all thought!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
Maybe the withdrawal method is better than we all thought!
I don't know about better... last time I used it (my early 20's), my then boyfriend wasn't too thrilled with it. Kinda follows the "interuptus" part of the name seriously and I don't know about anyone else, but barring any emergency, I don't want anything interrupting!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
flamingogirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
questionable, IMO.

Speaking of NFP, I question those rates on that chart. Here's the reason:

I'd have to say that the only reason the % for "failure" on NFP is so "high" is because it's so easily reversible each month that at any given time, a couple can switch gears and say "yes" to getting pregnant. And docs are SO fast to insinuate that when a woman comes in pregnant and says she uses NFP, they assume it's a "failure", when the vast majority of couples that use NFP don't see it as a failure.

don't know if I explained that very well, but I question the percentage of failure for NFP because it's typically not a pass/fail system for NFP. kwim?

I need sleep... I don't think I'm explaining this very well. Can someone else that also practices NFP chime in and help me out please?

Here's your fellow NFP'er chiming in!

It's important to distinguish NFP from other "methods" such as withdrawal, calendar, rhythm, etc. The key to the effectiveness of NFP is COMPLIANCE with the method. If your goal is to delay pregnancy, then you must follow the rules for maximized efficacy. The same goes for if you're using NFP to try and achieve pregnancy (yes, this happens...part of the beauty and versatility of NFP!)...gotta follow the rules for it to be most effective.

Many reliable studies have been conducted and show that the rates of effectiveness (if you're talking avoiding pregnancy) are about 99%.

For anyone that is interested, here is a great explanation: http://ccli.org/nfp/basics/effectiveness-p01.php

flamingogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post

Here's your fellow NFP'er chiming in!

It's important to distinguish NFP from other "methods" such as withdrawal, calendar, rhythm, etc. The key to the effectiveness of NFP is COMPLIANCE with the method. If your goal is to delay pregnancy, then you must follow the rules for maximized efficacy. The same goes for if you're using NFP to try and achieve pregnancy (yes, this happens...part of the beauty and versatility of NFP!)...gotta follow the rules for it to be most effective.

Many reliable studies have been conducted and show that the rates of effectiveness (if you're talking avoiding pregnancy) are about 99%.

For anyone that is interested, here is a great explanation: http://ccli.org/nfp/basics/effectiveness-p01.php

I was fine 100% using true NFP! When I bent the rules a little and used a condom during ovulation I got pregnant Oops!
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Pam221
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

looks like this is from 1997
Pam221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Numbers are always interesting because there is that 'actual' column and the 'ideal' column. Hard to really find out how good anything works if you have to rely on people using things correctly Condoms work great, if you use them, I think a lot of the failures are people waiting a bit too long to put them on

My guess is most people using natural family planning are at least considering having another baby, so if they wind up pregnant a little sooner than expected, it isn't a big deal. A lot of the other 'methods' if you're using them you're really not wanting to get pregnant. I think this is where a lot of the 'oops I got pregnant sooner than I planned comes from', just not too worried if they aren't super careful and they get pregnant...

Just my thoughts But it is interesting that their are failure rates for all the methods ... just wish it could get through to some younger (or not so young!) people who fool around and figure they are safe because they have used birth control....