Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
mamapickle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tell me about the best pregnancy books

My younger sis just found out she is pregnant with her first. I am soooo excited, and I want to buy her a couple of books about pregnancy and birth. I loved Dr. Sears pregnancy and birth books when I was pg with my first, but that series was published in the 90s, so I am wondering if anyone has any more recently published favorites. Can you recommend a pregnancy book that would be good for a first time mom? Thanks so much!
mamapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Goddess_Heather
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: tell me about the best pregnancy books

Girlfriends guide to pregnancy. Hands down. Tells you all about what to expect and all the ewwy things too without sounding like a medical journal. I laughed a few times too. Good luck mama and congrats to the sis!
Goddess_Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I liked the What to Expect When you're Expecting book and I like those week by week progress update books that show you size of baby, and new deatails each week. Congrats on being a new aunt!
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

I still think the Dr. Sears books are great! Also The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth (Henci Gouer), Gentle Birth Choices (Barbara Harper, I think), and Birthing From Within (Pam England).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
alexandme
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjmhg03 View Post
I still think the Dr. Sears books are great! Also The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth (Henci Gouer), Gentle Birth Choices (Barbara Harper, I think), and Birthing From Within (Pam England).

I agree, Dr. Sears and Birthing from Within for sure.

It really will depend on her personality and philosophy about pregnancy and birth though.
Some people love the "What to Expect..." book. I thought it was ok, I worked in the medical field so all of the "what if" or "this could happen" or "that could happen" stuff didn't phase me a bit. But for some people it is very alarmist and spends way too much time on all this stuff that could or might happen but in all reality isn't likely at all.
The above mentioned books are much more in line with the philosophy that pregnancy and birth are normal and natural processes that don't need to be treated as a medical condition.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. It's a very fun book to read.
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjmhg03 View Post

Henci Goer, Ina May Gaskin, Pam England, and Dr. Sears are all fabulous!

AFA the "What to Expect.." series, I agree with the pp. I read it in my first pregnancy and really wasn't bothered by it, but I know some people get a little freaked out by it and end up being very much for the intervention filled hospital birth that it seems to recommend rather than feeling comfortable going natural.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
fishermanswife
Registered Users

Girlfriend's Guide to PRegnancy for sure... then Girlfriends guide to the first year of motherhood, and then surviving toddlerhood or something like that! Awesome books.
FW
Old 08-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Monzie
Registered Users

I loved Dr Sears' books and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and a bunch of other ones (yes, I have a tendency to read everything!).

But something you might not have considered that I found totally invaluable were Baby Bargains and Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear. Because, honestly, I already knew a bunch of stuff about pregnancy and birth and I was planning to take a natural childbirth class anyway. But I was totally NOT prepared for all the crap you need to buy with your first baby....how half the stuff you think you need, you really don't...and all the weird stuff you never knew you needed. I carried both of those books with me when I set up my baby registry. I used them to find a quality, affordable crib with practical features. They gave me some idea of how many onesies and sleepers and little socks I should have. And what car seat was the best. And what sorts of stuff I could safely borrow from friends or buy at yard sales. Those were the most useful books I read. Seriously. All the pregnancy, labor, and delivery info I get from my midwives and my classes and the internet. But nobody tells you not to waste your money on a fancy baby quilt and matching "diaper stacker." Or that special-order cribs sometimes take 6 months to arrive....and, when they do, they're often bashed up from shipping. Or that some babies hate bouncy seats and swings, so you should wait to try 'em out on your kid before you actually buy one. Those "baby gear" books were a lifesaver for me and kept me from spending waaaaay too much money on junk I'll never use. I actually feel prepared and that's a good thing!
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
5ferret2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

'Your Pregnancy Week by Week and I loved reading one called Fresh Milk (it's all about breastfeeding and it's culture/history). Congrats to your lil Sis!!