Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

Post you POSITIVE c-section stories please

First off if you are going to be rude and judegmental don't bother posting! i want to hear your positive c-section stories. at the moment my baby is breech and c-section is becoming a very real possibility for this birth. i have had to completely natural unmedicated hospital births so c-section kinda scares me. but at the same time it's the safest option if this baby doesn't turn. which it's tried but is unsuccessful. it just frustrates the baby and hurts me. so put my mind at ease. tell me i won't die on the table! lol i've never had any kind of surgury so i have no idea what even is involved!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post you POSITIVE c-section stories please

Well, I had a emergency c/s with my first and it allowed me to have eight months with her. (If we'd kept on the "natural way" she would have been stillborn.) If that's not positive, I don't know what is!

I'm sorry you have to have a c/s, but I'm so excited we have the technology to do what's needed!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama View Post
Well, I had a emergency c/s with my first and it allowed me to have eight months with her. (If we'd kept on the "natural way" she would have been stillborn.) If that's not positive, I don't know what is!

I'm sorry you have to have a c/s, but I'm so excited we have the technology to do what's needed!
My experience and thoughts exactly! Thank goodness for c-sections! My daughter wouldn't be here if it weren't for our c-section.
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an elective Csection at 38 weeks. My first DS was born via Csection b/c he didn't fit...which is the reason for the repeat.

So, at 38 weeks I went in! I had to be there at 6:30am. As soon as I got there they did my IV. They asked me if I wanted my catheter in then or wanted to wait until I had my Epidural! OF COURSE I said when I had the Epidural!! LOL Then they gave me this plastic thing filled with an antacid....it was the sz of those little creamer things that you find in gas stations...so small....BUT SO horrible!! LOL! I couldn't even finish it!! The nurses just laughed at me!

So, then I walked into the OR. They had me sit on the table and they got the Epidural started. It only hurt a little as the numbing meds went in. It took about 5 minutes and then they laid me down and DH came in. They got started....and about 15 minutes later, my LITTLE DS was born! After they were done sewing me I was wheeled into my room. They let me hold my DS and nurse him. When I was done, they took him to take his vitals, give him a bath and such. I started to feel sick at that pt so they gave me a Phernigan shot in my butt.....which was still numb! The numbness lasted a lot of the day and just gradually wore off! I was happy to be numb.

So, I had asked the nurses to bring the baby when he was hungry...and they did.

The next morning they took out my catheter and changed my bed. I got up and took a shower. I had NO pain! It was wonderful!! I stayed up and walked around for about an hour! Remember this is only 24 hours after the surgery! So my Doc came in around 12 and I told him that I been up and about and had gone #2....which he was happy about!! LOL! I asked him if I could leave and he said "yes" since I was going so well!

SO, I left the hospital 36 hours after the surgery!! It was a PERFECT experience!! They gave me Hydrocodone and I took it every 3 hours consistanly for 2 days. I never had any pain during then or after I came off!

It was the PERFECT experience!!! I very much enjoyed it!!!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I suggest eating fresh pineapple it helps in the recovery
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
stjarks
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a planed repeat c/s. It was so easy. The only down side was I went in to labor and had to deal with that for a few hours before I got my spinal block. If it it planned, you will get a spinal block instead of a epi. The blocks are just a one shot deal where they inject a bunch of pain med and numbing med in to you, but it is not refillable. They do it right before your c/s and it is instant. I felt a cold chill go down my legs and then I could not move them. I thought it was cool. Mine was wearing off w/in 2 hours I was able to move my toes again. Keep on top of your pain med. Ask how long you have to go between dose and page them when it is time for more. Don't let it wear off or you will be hurting. I was also begging my Dr for food. I was so hungry and tired of the liquid diet. You will be on a liquid diet for 24 h.

Get up and walk as soon as they will let you. I went and took a shower. The showers had a seat, so I could sit and even wash my hair. I took sample packs of my shampoo, conditioner, tooth paste, and so on. Plus a new tooth brush. All I had to toss in was my brush and some clothes. I also took baby clothes and blankets. My hospital only had paper gowns and I wanted to put clothes on her.

Go to the hospital and take a tour. Tell them you might have to have a c/s and ask about polices. I know at my hospital, to have the baby in room the first night, another adult has to be there.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second what the pp said about touring the hospital or calling and asking about c/section procedure. I was never on a liquid diet at all. As soon as it was meal time I got food (and I'm lucky because our hospital has pretty good food!) Every hospital is different. Some hospitals have a recovery room where you have to go to after your section and you can't have the baby with you - others (like mine) everything is done in one room (except the surgery of course) where you are taken right back to your room after surgery and the baby will be brought right to you.
Also our hospital supplies everything for the baby - diapers, wipes, blankets and little gowns where they have a notch that covers the babies hands so he/she can't scratch their face. Also there is no requirement about an extra adult needed for the baby to stay overnight...if you need help you page the nurse.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
divapoppins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im having #6 over here and I can tell you they are not as bad as people think . With my 4th and 5th i didn't even feel like i had surgery ! My recommendation is to ask for a spinal with the morphine they add that gives you pain relief for a long time ! that little tihng they like to give you on your hand for pain relief ( you push a button and it releases pain meds ) is for the birds. with my 4th adn 5h i had the spinal versus epidurals with the others and it made a HUGE difference, also as a previous poster said , get up and get around , keep everything loosend up instead of sitting and getting all tense and it will make a world of difference also. i made it a point to walk at least every 2 hours if it was just going to the bathroom and my recovery was super fantastic

as for the actual procedure the only problem i have is the pain meds make my blood pressure drop super low , which i have low to begin with adn that makes me sick, the last time they gave me stuff that helped with that and it was the best of them all.

its easier said then done , but try not to *fear* it and things will go beautiful for you. the worse thing was the iv lol.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had two c/s and having a planned third. My first one was a little harder to recover from pain-wise, for the first week or so, but the second was much easier. I would highly suggest you find a support band for after you have the baby if you do have a c/s. Some hospitals offer them, some don't. I had to buy one for my second c/s and it was a huge help. It keeps your tummy tucked in, and helps with the pain while moving around.

I'm scared with a third c/s but only because it's major surgery. Do whatever is best for your baby and yourself. If medical intervention is necessary, so be it. I think the only outcome that is crucial is that both you and baby are healthy after delivery. Not all vaginal births are wonderful, as some of those births can have horror stories too, btdt.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Axanthia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my friends baby was completely breech and the doctor tried to turn him, but to no avail. So she opted to have a section that day rather than wait for to go into labor, have it be an emergency section and still have a breech baby. It went very smoothly. She was no more laid out than a normal delivery except she was not allowed to lift anything for a bit. Yes she said it hurt alot after but drugs are great If you HAVE to have a section, its OK. better to have healthy baby and mommy than not.

To contrast, my first was over 42 weeks and I wasn't going into labor because the muscles were too stretched out. The doctor said section was a strong possiblity due to the size of the baby (estimated 8.5-9 pounds) But I wanted a vaginal birth so he let me try. Well.... My baby was so big he got stuck coming out and lucky all he had was a bruised shoulder from being delivered with his head and one arm sticking out (the only way to get him out - I will let you imagine how that was accomplished). It turns out he was 11.1 Pounds! Had we known I def would have had a c-section despite my fears. My recovery was actually worse than a typical section patient and I lost so much blood they were very worried about me. Took me months to feel right again and I still have problems 6 years later related to that first birth.

Moral of the story is that sometimes a section is better than the alternative...