Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh the smell (puke)

The diaper pail is really smelling strongly of urine...well duh...but my question is what do you all use? I have some pail pals or whatever you call those things on order from Northern Essence. I've tried tea tree oil and it does nothing. When I open up the pail to put a dipe in I about faint or at least feel like puking because of the stench. I guess it smells like ammonia?

I need to come up with a solution because it's so strong that sometimes you can smell it when you walk into the room. Someone, anyone, have a solution for me? It's mostly the pail that has the prefolds in it. We have two, one for fitteds and AIOs and one for prefolds. Is there a better solution for the prefolds stench? I know they tend to stink more in general than other diapers (in my experience anyway).

Thoughts? I literally almost fainted yesterday when I opened it up and I'm not one to have a weak stomach with smells.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
lararum
Banned

Re: Oh the smell (puke)

Well, I wash every other day. After I put the dipes in the washer I spray the pail with simple green and wipe it out. If the stench was really bad, I would also wipe it down with a bit of tto. I don't use a wet bag. We don't usually have a bad stink problem.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
ShelleyD
Registered Users

I exclusively use prefolds and sometimes the pail sure stinks. I clean the pail with soap and water when that happens since the pail is plastic and I think that it holds the stink. I also made deodiscs. I followed a link someone posted somewhere else but basically you just put some essential oils (I used TTO) in a little water and add it to baking soda to make a thick paste. Put it in muffin cups and leave out to dry out overnight. It's made a huge difference in my pail and it cost next to nothing. I used some deodiscs from BRU (got as a gift at my baby shower) and they did nothing but these homeade ones are awesome.

Shelley
ShelleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great! I'll try some deodiscs today! Woohoo! Thanks mamas!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Eliza-Bella
Registered Users

I think I'll try that too. Our dipes have been soooo stinky lately and TTO alone gave them a weird smell.
Eliza-Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: Oh the smell (puke)

After I empty my pail in the washer, I have a spray bottle of lemon juice and spray it all around the insides of the pail and then rinse with the diaper sprayer and pour it down. You can also just mist the insides with the lemon juice and leave it since it won't hurt the diapers.
Summer is offline   Reply With Quote