Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Optional testing?

I can't for the life of me remember what the acual tests are called but they are done between 15-18 weeks gestation to test for Nueral Tube defects and Downs Syndrome. Do you opt to take or not take these tests?

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Optional testing?

I have never had them done. The biggest thing for me was that I was repeatedly told that there is a high chance of false positives...requiring further testing. That put enough doubt in my mind about how well the tests acually work that I decided I didn't want to have them done. I didn't want to risk a false negative and additional unneeded stress to myself.

Then another reason for me was that regardless of the outcome, I wasn't going to do anything about terminating the pregnancy. So it didn't matter. I know that some chose them so they can plan ahead for the defects, but I think I would react oppositly and start the worrying when there was nothing I could do about it at the time....so it was mostly just for relief on my part.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I have never had them done. The biggest thing for me was that I was repeatedly told that there is a high chance of false positives...requiring further testing. That put enough doubt in my mind about how well the tests acually work that I decided I didn't want to have them done. I didn't want to risk a false negative and additional unneeded stress to myself.

Then another reason for me was that regardless of the outcome, I wasn't going to do anything about terminating the pregnancy. So it didn't matter. I know that some chose them so they can plan ahead for the defects, but I think I would react oppositly and start the worrying when there was nothing I could do about it at the time....so it was mostly just for relief on my part.
ditto...exactly how I feel too.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I have always opted out of that test.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Ok, it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine when people say "false positive" with a SCREENING test! It's not a definitive test.. it's just something that signifies you need further investigation... it's not a simple "yes/no" test! 95% of people with an abnormal result don't have a problem.. Much like the one hour glucose challenge just singles out those who need a more definitive test.. I don't see nearly as many people claiming that has such a high "false positive" rate as I do with the AFP or triple/quad screens, and there are certainly a LOT of women who "fail" the one hour test, and go on to pass the 3 hour.

Anyways, I had the triple screen done with DD. It was abnormal. I had several extra level 2 ultrasounds, and all was ok. Do I think that test was "wrong". NO! It did what it was supposed to do.. I got further investigation, and thankfully I fell into that 95% where everything was ok.

I am at a MUCH higher risk for NTD's though, being diabetic, so it was something I was concerned with. Spinda bifida in particular is one of those things where babies often do better when born by C/S than vaginally (less physical trauma to the spinal defect), which is something I definately WOULD have opted for had any problems like that been spotted. So for me, it was information I was glad to have - and it was reassuring to know everything was ok.

Also, FWIW, many spinal defects CANNOT be spotted on regular ultrasound equipment.. so I wouldn't necessarily rely on a regular ultrasound to spot problems.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't really know much about it with my twins and though my dr warned me it often comes back wacky with twins b/c of due date innacuracies and such, I took it anyway. I never even got the results back and never thought anything of it. With my 3rd I was more educated on my body and what they were doing that wasn't truly necessary. I made it clear from the get go that I did NOT want it. I never got the results previously and wouldn't abort anyway... BIG MISTAKE! Towards the end of my pregnancy I had the worst anxiety and these horrible nightmares about what the test would have told me. UGH, it wasn't fun. I finally gave birth and he was a-ok but I ended up with a bunch of problems and I think that my anxiety was about that, but I was using the test as an outlet for my worrying. I had the test with my other 2 pregnancies after. I just don't think I'd have an amnio unless my Perinatologist highly recommended it which would mean it was on the higher side of the chances and for a good reason. I don't see anything wrong with the test, its only a wee bit of blood and it can really save you a lot of worry. I knew a girl in my March 2002 board who also was going to refuse the test and ended up getting bullied by her nurse as to why and just went and did it at the last minute. It ended up being that her son had Mosiac Trisomy which is something VERY rare! She was so upset that she almost DIDN'T take the test. It would have been obvious down the road as he had severe IUGR and was only 1.5 lbs at 34wks! I'm not trying to scare you, but there is always a chance and I'd personally rather know my chances (which is ALL the test tells you!) prior than not know until after.You don't have to have an amnio if your results come back out of whack, the blood test itself is so minimal.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon

This is exactly how I felt. No matter what I was keeping what God had given me regardless of the condition. I believe strongly you never get more then you can handle!

ETA: I had a great DR. he was very pleased with me when I told him no. He said "that is the answer I like to hear"

Last edited by Hayley; 07-25-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the tests with both of my kids, but honestly it never crossed my mind to not have them at the time. My first was normal, and so when it came time to do it with my second...I guess I just assumed. I actually never thought I would be faced with it being abnormal. It was, and very much so. It came back as like a 1 in 19 chance for downes syndrome. I chose not to have the amnio and had level 2 u/s and was monitored weekly in the last month of my pg for the baby's heart. I was so stressed out that I couldn't think straight afterward. It ruined my pregnancy. I couldn't enjoy it for worry. So I would say, if I was to ever have another child, then I would not take the tests. I regret haveing it done. Knowing wouldn't have changed anything. God gave me this child for a reason, no matter what. She didn't not have downes, or any other genetic condition.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would opt out if it were entirely up to me. I was seing a perinatologist with my son so she really wanted me to get it, and then it was positive...but all was well with him. So this pregnancy I decided not to get it (note:we had been through all the genetic couseling/testing rigors to the tune of 18 viles of blood each with DS pregnancy), but DH sweet man that he is said for his piece of mind that I should get it. So, for his peace I did...and it came out fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

I did do the "triple screen". I would still keep the baby if there were problems, but I think I would want the time to prepare myself if there might be some type of disability. Fortunately everything worked out fine.

Valerie
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote