Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
In search of bean recipes Updated w/ another question

UPDATED Question: Anyone know how many dried beans it takes to make the equivalent to a can of beans? I have seen alot of great recipes that call for canned beans but I don't know how much I would need to cook to get the same amount. Thanks again.

Ok I get 2 lbs of beans a month from WIC and I don't just want to make Baked Beans or some variation on that theme. I can get beans (all kinds), split peas, and lentils. I am not sure, pretty much anything in the dried bean sections that isn't a mix and comes in a 1 lb bag. My Dd will eat red/pink colored beans better because that is what she is used to but I am willing to try any other type. I just don't know where to start and if you search all you find are a thousand recipes for Baked beans or BBq beans. Oh and I am not a big fan of black eyed peas, otherwise I am up for anything.

I would love a recipe for Refried beans, preferable low/no fat. And any other recipe you think of, especially kid friendly (AKA not to spicy)

TIA

Last edited by Julesmom23girls; 08-14-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: update
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: In search of bean recipes

I have WIC beans falling out of my pantry, too.

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about Chili? we make both red chili with beef and white chili with chicken.

You could also use a little of each and make calico beans (a favorite around here)
I can get the recipies if you need them
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beans i find pritty simple to cook.
Sort and wash the night before. Soak in water overnight,
I put them in the crock pot in the morning and let cook all day.
Pintos i put a little bacon or pork salt in and season. Salt pepper garlic onion.
Eat like that or add what you like
the easiest way i found to make refried beans is take the beans eather freshly cooked or leftover (pinto) and put them in the blender with a little water (i don't have a foodprocesser or i would use that) and blend them intill smooth and use as you would canned.
red beans are good for chili
lintils there are a bunch of great recipes out there just search it you can make hamburgers out of them, taco filling
peverroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
I put them in the crock pot in the morning and let cook all day.
I am so glad you said that because I was just about to post that as a question too. Every recipe I see says to cook the beans first to soften then put in the crockpot to make chili or baked beans whatever. I never understood why you couldn't cook the beans in the crockpot until they were softened and then add the flavorings. Glad to know I wasn't crazy to think that would work.

I don't know what I do wrong when I cook beans, maybe they boil too hard, but they always seem to be tough and grainy,not like canned beans. I prefer canned beans (less work) but with all these WIC beans I can't bring myself to spend money on something that I already hve.

Keep them coming ladies, especially any crockpot recipes, I have a new baby coming and that would make my life much easier. But I will take whatever your favs are.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

WIC beans. Got a stock of them here.

We do black beans (ook them lke normal with some chicken broth and onion)-- we eat them with cheese quesedillas (WIC chese too ).

I used to make split pea soup but I can't remember how.

We can now choose between beans or PB.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote