View Poll Results: How long did you bf or are you planning to bf?
Less than 6 months 7 5.00%
6-12 months 21 15.00%
12-24 months 74 52.86%
longer than 24 months (please give details) 38 27.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:
How long are you going to or did you BF?

I am almost at 11 months with DS #3. My first DS I fed till 11 months and then moved him to regular milk. DS #2, I only fed for 6 months and had some supply issues (and didn't know at the time there were tons of things I could have done to remedy that). Anyway, I am not ready to stop bf, it is a comfort thing for my DS and I still enjoy the comfort it gives him and the bond. I get lots of comments about it being time to quit, so I am just wondering how long you are planning to or how long did you bf your children?
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
amhmtq
Registered Users

Re: How long are you going to or did you BF?

I planned to breastfeed my oldest son for 6 weeks...and he self-weaned at 3 years old. I'm planning to breastfeed the twins until at least 2 years old, so based on my pattern, they should wean around 8 or 9??? Just kidding. If I had to place bets now on them self-weaning, I'd say around 2-ish, since they are definitely not into comfort nursing like my son was. They are all business about it.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

I planned on bf'ing Abby for 3 months..she nursed until she was almost 5. Jude nursed until he was a little over 2, Lena was about 3. All future kiddos will nurse until they want to stop
Old 08-07-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhmtq
I planned to breastfeed my oldest son for 6 weeks...and he self-weaned at 3 years old. I'm planning to breastfeed the twins until at least 2 years old, so based on my pattern, they should wean around 8 or 9??? Just kidding. If I had to place bets now on them self-weaning, I'd say around 2-ish, since they are definitely not into comfort nursing like my son was. They are all business about it.

This gave me a good chuckle.
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Mom2Jack+Quinn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I nursed first ds till he was 20 months (and I was pg with ds2--so he ended up self weaning) and I figure ds2 will probably go till 2+
Old 08-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed for about 13 mos., then weaned bc she was losing interest and my af hadn't come back and we wanted to think about having another. I weaned her to a bottle, which in retrospect was a BAD idea!! We still haven't gotten rid of the thing and she is almost 2! With this next one I plan on either nursing longer or weaning straight to a cup!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
jkelstaten
Registered Users

With DD#1 we trying breastfeeding for the first week, but she had extreme difficulties even though we had a bunch of help from the lactation consultant.

DD#2 breastfed until 7 months, I had extreme PP depression so I did not enjoy it at all, She got really sick at 7 months with diarreah so the dr. wanted to switch her to a soy formula for a few days to help clear it up. (he did suggest that I pump and when she cleared up to start again)I just took the advice and ran with it and she was weaned.

If there is a DC #3 I will breastfeed again (and hopefully enjoy it this time) probably until the baby gets a bunch of teeth. Even though I know you don't have to stop then.
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD self weaned to about 1 nursing session about 2 weeks ago. I just went ahead & took the final step to completely stop. Partially do to a medication change my doc has been trying for me to do, but couldn't if I was still nursing. She was all about business too. No comfort nursing here (except at night ) She doesn't seem affected at all. I would have liked to nurse her for longer, but since she had already weaned every other nursing session, I knew it wouldn't have been long anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide! I am sure you'll make a great decision for you & your family, whatever that might be.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS #1 - we tried bf for 4 weeks and that was rough. He never latched on right and I had bleeding, cracked nipples it was horrible. The doc told me to supplement and that was the end of bf for him.
DS #2 - he bf for 6 months though it wasn't all the time. I went back to work right away and we supplemented most of his bottles with only one bottle of bm and that was work.
DS #3 - ahhh my bf baby. He is almost a year (on the 15th) and still going strong. He does drink juice and regular milk from a sippy and eats solids but he still bf 3+ times a day and about 2x at night. I will let him continue until he decides he's done (I don't think it will be much longer).
Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I finally got to experience a wonderful time with it. I wouldn't give up the bond with DS#3 for anything. Good luck with whatever you decide to do - oh and I too only planned to bf till he got teeth but we are still going strong and he has 6 teeth now!
Ericka
Old 08-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
ajfowle
Registered Users
seller

I'll bf as long as my dd wants to continue. The majority of kids naturally wean somewhere between 2 and 4, and many wean during pregnancy. Since I plan to be pregnant again around my daughter's second birthday, I predict she'll wean around 2 1/2ish.