Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
pigletmsu
Registered Users

How do I block these stairs off?

These are my stairs. How do I block them off? The front door opens into the stairway so I am thinking that a gate just across the stairs is not a great idea, which I don't think will work anyway because the banister doesn't line up very well with the wall. But if I don't gate off at the top of the stairs, then I am left with 3 big openings leading to the stairs (the hallway, the entrance to the living room and the entrance to the kitchen). Any ideas? Currently I gate it off for guests by using my big playyard stretched across the opening like this.

[IMG]

Last edited by pigletmsu; 01-15-2008 at 08:03 PM.
pigletmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I block these stairs off?

that playard might not last for long once they can figure it can be moved.

What about the kind that you attach the the wall and you can extend it out then lock it and then if you want it open you can open it and push it back to its smallest setting?
it's what we have dividing our kitchen/dining area. It's kind of like a little door.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2399937-0696909?asin=B0002JETOW&AFID=Nextag&LNM=B0002JETOW |Expandable_Swing_Gate_by_North_States_Industries& ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001
Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a retractable gate. It rolls up into itself on one side and hooks to the other. I didn't want to put screws in my railing so I just zip tied a board to the railing and installed the hardware to the board. It's in the wall on the other side. I didn't have room for a swing gate and didn't want to be messing with it all the time.

It was expensive but worth every penny for convenience. However if you can't get it to install directly over the steps I might put it lower so they can't go under it.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn__ View Post
We have a retractable gate. It rolls up into itself on one side and hooks to the other. I didn't want to put screws in my railing so I just zip tied a board to the railing and installed the hardware to the board. It's in the wall on the other side. I didn't have room for a swing gate and didn't want to be messing with it all the time.

It was expensive but worth every penny for convenience. However if you can't get it to install directly over the steps I might put it lower so they can't go under it.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search
Is this easy enough for a 2 and 4 yr old to open on their own? I LOVE this one and want to buy it, but I have a 2 and 4 yr old who will NOT appreciate not being able to open and close it to get to the basement playroom.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Crazy4Coffee
Registered Users
Formerly: tla**8
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletmsu View Post
Is this easy enough for a 2 and 4 yr old to open on their own? I LOVE this one and want to buy it, but I have a 2 and 4 yr old who will NOT appreciate not being able to open and close it to get to the basement playroom.
it says in the description for children under 2yrs old.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My 3 year old can't do it, but a 4yo might.. my 3yo might if I taught her to, but the button is kind of hard to push, depends on how strong tehy are. Am I contradicting myself or what?

It's part strength and part coordination and sometimes, when the gate isn't cooperating, an adult would need 2 hands. But other than that it's a great gate. No idea why it has an age range. I am 5'3" mostly legs and the gate comes up to my hip.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

I found this at babies r us

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2967825

It looks like with it, you can install a regular top-of-stair gate.
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Thank you!!! I had no idea they created that banister attachment so I can get away with not drilling into the banister. And I LOVE the mesh gate since it retracts and can go away when we don't need it without having a bulky gate in the way (like when we have company over and DD is not around). We moved into our house almost a year ago and haven't had to use a gate yet. Our old house the top of the stairs was so messed up that we couldn't use a gate there either, so we ended up just not using a gate and never letting our kids be upstairs without our direct supervision. But that isn't going to work anymore since our "upstairs" is the main floor now that we live in a ranch.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
mommycaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have this retractable mesh gate at both entrances of my living room and it is not safe enough for the top of the stairs (it even says so on the package). I love it to keep my kids in the living room, but if they pushed it hard enough or climbed enough, the could break it.

Quote:
Thank you!!! I had no idea they created that banister attachment so I can get away with not drilling into the banister. And I LOVE the mesh gate since it retracts and can go away when we don't need it without having a bulky gate in the way (like when we have company over and DD is not around). We moved into our house almost a year ago and haven't had to use a gate yet. Our old house the top of the stairs was so messed up that we couldn't use a gate there either, so we ended up just not using a gate and never letting our kids be upstairs without our direct supervision. But that isn't going to work anymore since our "upstairs" is the main floor now that we live in a ranch.
mommycaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycaitlin View Post
I have this retractable mesh gate at both entrances of my living room and it is not safe enough for the top of the stairs (it even says so on the package). I love it to keep my kids in the living room, but if they pushed it hard enough or climbed enough, the could break it.
I was thinking to use it from the banister across to the wall so it is parallel to the front door and not actually at the base of the stairs. Do you think it'd be strong enough for that? I actually hate gates right at the top of the stairs because it just seems like one little slip and you're down the stairs. So whatever we buy will be hung so there is a landing area on either side and not right at the stairs.