Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
4boys4me
Registered Users

eczema... pleaase tell me all!

I have no clue about the stuff.. My youngest has it on his arms and legs and it isn't looking good. I have since changed his laundry soap to free and clear and am not using dryer sheets. I bath him every other night and put Aveeno on him.. This is just what I do.. per what I would think would need to be done.. I have no clue about the stuff and his dr. is the one who told me it was eczema.. Help,lol.. It doesn't look any better at all..
Old 05-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: eczema... pleaase tell me all!

The doctor didn't prescribe any cream for it? I've had eczema since I was a little girl so there's tons of stuff you can do, and you really need to just find out what it is thats causing this reaction. I used just dermabase, which is just a lotion with no perfumes or harsh chemicals in it to help moisturize the area and then avoid the things that cause my break outs! for me its perfumes and chemicals and wool. lol. But it can also be caused by different foods! I've heard of dairy doing that to some and I think strawberries too, but try keeping track of foods he eats and if his breakouts get worse after them or try avoiding some for a few days see if that makes a difference! i also had to start only using half the amount of laundry detergent in my clothes, be very careful with what soap you use to wash him ( I only use dove and haven't had problems with that) Shampoo, etc.. Good luck, I hope you find whats causing his!
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

PM'd you.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

I would like to know too.. my doc gave my dd some extra strenght hydrocortizone cream, it seems to work sometomes..
Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

PM'd you too!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

Several of my kiddos ahd eczema...my 11 yo ds had it terribly as a baby...he has none now..but his arms and legs used to look like serious battlefileds! He also has a peanut allergy and asthma but..anyway. We always used aquaphor and it was wonderful..i never liked to use prescription stuff..we only bathed every other day and slathered him up after a bath with cotton pj's over all..to let it sink in overnight, worked well for us. We always put him in only 100% cotton as a baby and i think that helped as well...

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,Luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have nt read all the posts but Glaxal Base works really well. it is a non steroid cream for mild to mederate eczema. You can get it over the counter at mostly any Pharmacy. it is pricey but lasts long and really does work.
hth
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
childers521
Registered Users

http://www.blincinc.com/products.htm

I absolutely love the shampoo, conditioner and body wash from blinc. I have psoriasis on my scalp and in patches on my arms and legs. the shampoo and conditioner is awesome for not aggrivating my psoriasis. 99.8% vegan and super gentle, I have been using it on my 11 month old for the past 8 months.

They also have a lot of good information on the pages about the Sham in shampoo, the con in conditioner and the dirt on your body wash about the chemicals in mainstream products that can contribute to skin irritations.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
StormySar
Registered Users

My son had it, and we have switched detergents along with his baby wash and lotion.

We use Basic-H from Shaklee (nontoxic, pH balanced all purpose cleaner) and then we switched to one of Shaklee's lotions - with that and the change in detergent (to Basic-L, again, from Shaklee) it takes care of it. I love how soft his skin is now - just like it ought to be :-)
StormySar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
mhibbard
Registered Users

My son has it, but we have it all under control now. He finally has beautiful baby skin again! He started to get it at 2 mos old. He is now 8 mos old.
We use frag free detergent. I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND using products with NO PETROLEUM in them. That includes aquaphor (which we did use at first and didn't help). That also includes Aveeno, Eucerin and most other things you find at Target/Walmart. I bought some pure shea butter, jojoba oil, and some EXCELLENT lotion from Shikai and Alba Botanicals. We use nothing with fragrance. If he has a really itchy breakout, I will use some 1% hydrocortisone, but be very careful with that stuff and use sparingly (mix it in with some lotion to dilute). I wouldn't use it at all if I didn't have to. THankfully, now we almost never use it. We also dress him in cotton, especially at night. The key to eczema is to figure out the cause. I was in denial that he had a dairy allergy (I am nursing and did not want to have to cut out all dairy, selfishly). Until we both got super sick in March. I was so dehydrated that I had to go to the ER. My milk supply all but disappeared and, out of desparation, I gave him some formula. He had a horrible reaction. Throwing up, hives from head to toe, swollen lip. Can't deny the cow's milk allergy now! So, I have COMPLETELY eliminated it from my diet and now he is doing GREAT!!! I also gave up all fish, because I suspect a sensitivity to that as well. GOOD LUCK! It's hard to see our little ones suffer. I hope you get it figured out! It's also very helpful to have a supportive Pediatrician that won't try to slather drugs all over baby right away. Our first Pediatrician prescribed Elidil. I never opened the package and never saw that doctor again. There is now an FDA black box warning for Elidil because it may cause skin cancer! Be careful out there!
mhibbard is offline   Reply With Quote