Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
bdch72
Registered Users

Question Website I just found

I just found this website and now I'm all confused!!

Here is a quote:

"Even if you muster the strength and dedication to use cloth diapers, your efforts may not be as environmentally friendly as you might think. A study carried out by the United KingdomÁs Environment Agency (EA) concluded that no substantial difference existed between the environmental impact of disposable diapers and cloth diapers (both home laundered and commercially laundered). The study's "cradle-to- grave" analysis considered the environmental impacts associated with disposable diapers, including the raw material supply, manufacturing and use of disposables, and compared that against the environmental impacts of the laundering process associated with using cloth diapers. The EA found that the electricity and fuel used during the laundering process for cloth diapers was just as detrimental to the environment as was the over 2.5 million disposable diapers that enter UK landfills annually."

What do you think and what have you heard????
bdch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Website I just found

Well even if that's true, disposable dipes are still dangerous for your babies, especially boys. Google "dangers of disposable diapers".
Old 08-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
shell015
Banned
seller

I think that is POO. Because are they thinking of the landfill of sposies that just one DC would cause??? Helloooo we are soooo being environmentally friendly here. They are dumb!
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Um . . . there is no way on earth that my doing 2 extra loads of laundry a week (electricity + minimal detergent) is anywhere close to a Pampers factory cranking out NON-BIODEGRADABLE poop containers.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

sounds confusing but it's basically trying to make a pathetic attempt at validating the non-cloth users excuse of not using CDs because of an increase in energy consumption. I know there is a link (used to have it before the old computer died) that actually did the real study of how much it costs for a household to use and launder their own CDs and the difference was pennies. There was no substantial increase in the utilities.

I personally think it'll all depend on how many kids you have in dipes and how often you wash, if that will be a concern for you (meaning seeing an increase in your utilities). Otherwise, it's just another scare tactic to appeal to the people that don't really want to use CDs.

Otherwise... there are more kids using sposies than cloth (I'm lead to believe anyway) so I think it's safe to deduce that sposies are filling the landfills more than CD homes having increased utilities.

Besides, energy consumption is on a different track than filling landfills when it comes to environmental studies. Not saying one is less than the other.. just saying it's on different tracks.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
sounds confusing but it's basically trying to make a pathetic attempt at validating the non-cloth users excuse of not using CDs because of an increase in energy consumption. I know there is a link (used to have it before the old computer died) that actually did the real study of how much it costs for a household to use and launder their own CDs and the difference was pennies. There was no substantial increase in the utilities.

I personally think it'll all depend on how many kids you have in dipes and how often you wash, if that will be a concern for you (meaning seeing an increase in your utilities). Otherwise, it's just another scare tactic to appeal to the people that don't really want to use CDs.

Otherwise... there are more kids using sposies than cloth (I'm lead to believe anyway) so I think it's safe to deduce that sposies are filling the landfills more than CD homes having increased utilities.

Besides, energy consumption is on a different track than filling landfills when it comes to environmental studies. Not saying one is less than the other.. just saying it's on different tracks.
100% agree!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

They probably don't take into account that our washing machines are much more environmentally friendly and only get better with each new model!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
bdch72
Registered Users

Oh good! I'm so glad you guys had responses to this. I've been so excited about starting cd'ing but then I read this

I only do it during the day, so we use one disposable during the night. I feel so good about it. Now I just need to start using cloth wipes.
bdch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I think it's poo. Where's the research? Who did it? How many CD users were in the study? How many sposie users? What brands of cloth & sposies were they comparing too? What washing methods? Line dry or dryer? Energy star appliance? C'mon.