View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Registered Users
NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I've always thought women shouldn't have a problem NIPing, but I thought they should cover up. Well, I had my first NIP session a few days ago. I was at my old workplace in the breakroom and I threw a blanket over my shoulders and the baby. Even though I was in an airconditioned room, it got hot fast. I was sweating, the baby was sweating, and I had to keep fanning the blanket just to make it a little cooler. I kept thinking that I really need to get a nursing cover with boning to hold the top open so it'd be a little cooler.

Anyway, I was visiting some advocacy websites and came aross this page: Specifically the section entitled "Don"t Disappear" (it's about halfway down). I think what is said about covering up to nurse is very interesting and wondered what other women thought.
DH is totally unsupportive of the idea of NIPing w/o covering up and just talks about how it's offensive to other ppl.
Mama to our beautiful baby girl, born 01/06/08
Donate breastmilk or connect with donors free of charge here.

Last edited by quietdusk; 02-16-2008 at 03:33 AM.
quietdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I voted other. To me it depends on where I am. Most of the time, I don't cover up. DS just gets all crabby and I end up flashing everyone anyway. So I make less of a scene if I don't cover up and you can't even see any part of my breast. Now when I'm at church, I do cover up out of respect for the other women and men there. If I'm around our pastor which we are often, I cover up out of respect for him and his wife. So I think it all depends where I'm at and who I'm around.
Michelle, mama to Genesis, Abram and Juliette
I Smile Because Of Them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Nope, I honestly think that using a blanket just draws attention to yourself. I've nursed everywhere and anywhere and most people come up to talk to me and say "Is he eating? I had no idea!"

I think people who are offended (because it's not like they can see anything) need to worry about themselves and stop staring at me from across a restaurant.
Twinklefae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Users

i did at first, because i couldnt nurse without flashing the world, lol, and im not comfortable with that. i have huge boobs, and we can only nurse with the football hold, so that makes it more difficult. now, i usually wear a cami under my shirts, one goes up, the other comes down, and we're good to go. ive also figured out how to nurse in the sling in the past couple of weeks. i like to go somewhere out of the way to get situated, but after that i dont worry too much about it
single, working, student mama to Tristan born 10/1/07
On my way to becoming an ASL interpreter

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

No - about 99% of the time. I do it discreetly enough. He is almost 18 mo. so he wouldn't tolerate it anyway.

Oh! I do remember one time I was at the airport & the only place to sit was wedged between a wall & an elderly man & I did cover so the man wouldn't be uncomfortable. That was probably a year ago, now.

mama to two energetic boys, age 5 & 2!
pokydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
My Mood:

No, not with a blanket. I have pretty huge boobs (size e when I'm nursing) and I've never found I needed more coverage than my shirt can provide. Just pull my shirt over the exposed boob and let the baby's head cover the rest I've literally never had a second glance (then again, I do live in Canada and NIP is pretty well normal here).
Erin, mommy to James William(Feb 27, 2005) and Julia Rose (May 13, 2007) and Josie Kae (April 14, 2009). Lovin' Jonny since 2002!
mum2James&Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I voted other because as some other mamas have said, I wear nursing tops and there isn't anything to cover. I position the fabric of my top over any exposed skin and it is very hard to tell I am nursing.

I think that nothing draws more attention or says, "hey look I am feeding my baby" more than a nursing cover or blanket. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with mamas who feel more comfortable NIP using them. I have owned a few and it has taken me a loooong time to get to this point where I feel pretty confident NIP. I have even nursed my youngest in church on many occasions and many people have spoken to me and said look how good he sleeps in church, not knowing that he was nursing.

I don't feel as comfortable NIP now that he is older, but he really only wants to nurse at naptime, bedtime and first thing in the a.m. anyway. But, if I needed to, I would.
Christine, Wife to Reggie & BFing, BWing, CDing Mama to 4 great kids!
RJ (11y),Christian (8y),Olivia (4y)&Colin (2y Hirschsprung's Disease)
Au Pair in America - Live-in child care with a cultural flair.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

Only time I have ever covered is when we were outside in the summer and I was worried about Brenna/Kyla getting a sunburn....and that wasn't to "cover up" a nursing baby, but to protect her from the sun!

My mom will try and throw a blanket over us when we are out together, but it comes off anyways and I take it off because it drives me insane....

My hubby could care less, lol, he is all for nursing and all for me NIP...he just watches to see who tries to catch a glimpse at my boob, lol! I remember one time his friend did and then they made fun of him for a while, lol....oh well.
Katie - Breastfeeding, CDing, co-sleeping, baby wearing, baby signing mommy to Riley (6/21/02) Kyla (8/30/05) Brenna (6/3/07) Tristan (6/11/09)
Proud Wife to my Soldier
Praying for him in Afghanistan Stay safe my love!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:

I never cover up (not even in church!), but I am discreet when I nurse.
A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't cover up but I nurse discreetly, I tend to wear nursing shirts so I don't have to lift my shirt up to expose my chubby belly, and so on. I am not embarrassed about nursing, and if we were out I would try to find a seat off the beaten path. Now, at 16 months, nursing in public doesn't really happen since he can have a cup but if we are at relatives and he needs to nurse, I'll do it. Especially near naptime since nursing is how he falls asleep. I only use a blanket near his head or slightly covering if he is tired and it helps him fall asleep (he gets SOOO distracted now). I wouldn't cover him up if it was hot and he was sweating, I would not put my child's safety in front of someone's else feeling "awkward" around me nursing.
Michelle momma to Finnegan 10/06 Samuel 7/08
Missing my 2/10 and welcoming Henry 2/11
FinnegansMom is offline   Reply With Quote