Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to teach a toddler...

to respect things? Like...toys or belongings.

The boys have a lot of toys and recently Kain has become VERY stingey/possessive. He used to share really well and I fear this behavior is his cousin rubbing off on him. I want to curb it NOW before he's 7-8 yrs old and acting like this (like his cousin).

The boys are 2.5 and (just turned) 1. In Kain's world (or his eyes), *EVERYTHING* is his. No matter what or whose it is. Anything his little brother is playing with, he goes and snatches it away and barks, "No Drakey, that's mine!"

And I've got a bunch of stuff that needs to be put away (assorted things...toys, dishes I let them play with, a lap table thing) and he got in it and just started chucking everything. Anything that *can* be pulled apart, *will* be pulled apart - even if that means it's broken. Surely this isn't normal 2yo behavior.

No form of punishment seems to phase him at all (or positive reinforcement). I told him yesterday if he couldn't be nicer to things, I was going to take all of his toys away and he'd get them back as he learned to be nice. Then we had issues this morning so I'm planning on taking all the toys away. Does that seem unreasonable? I'm just SO tired of this behavior.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to teach a toddler...

I'll be watching this thread, but I've come to the conclusion that a lot of it is age & a phase. DS is almost 3 & went through this. He's a lot better now but occasionally we still have trouble. I think sometimes it's an attention issue too (he only says his brother's things are his when he wants us to play w/him & not the baby).
Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I really think it is the age they are at. My Dd and my friends DS were both like that at that age(they are 6 wks apart in age). My friend had a good way to deal with it, she put the toy in question in time out. If it can't be played w/ properly the toy got put on top of the frige and was in timeout for the rest of the day (or how ever long you see fit). It worked for her. At the time she had a younger child as well, but my Dd was an only child at that time so we didn't have those issues except when we were with them. I thought it was effective. I hope it helps or you find something that does at least. but I really think this is a stage they go through. I bet you could check DR sears website and he would have something to say about it.

Last edited by Julesmom23girls; 08-27-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Sara315
Registered Users

I agree that its mostly that age. I found that the best way is to point out when you share. ex Im eating an apple or anything else and one of the kids wants some. Ill say you wanna share this apple with me? I apply it with pretty much anything I can. Bathtime too, you can ask the boys if they want to share a bath togeather. It shows them thats theres more to sharing then just with toys. I think this is one of thoses things that are best tought by example. Then if they are really being nasty about not sharing Ill take whatever it is away and say no one can play with it unless its shared, they come around pretty fast.
Sara315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
skayers01
Registered Users

It his age. There's a shirt at Target that begins 1. What's Mine Is Mine 2. What's Yours Is Mine 3. If was mine earlier, it's mine.... and so one. It describes my dd to a T!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is telling me "No!" every time I ask/tell him to do anything age-appropriate too? And how do you respond to that?