View Poll Results: Would you have been annoyed and considered this rude?
yes, I would have been annoyed AND thought it rude! 12 17.65%
It would have annoyed me, but I don't see it as rude! 26 38.24%
It wouldn't bug me AND I don't see it as rude! 27 39.71%
Other! 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Would you think this is rude?

Just looking for some input. We all woke up 9ish My 12 yr old DD just came downstairs and I told her I need her help hanging out with the little ones so I can fix breakfast. It is was 10am here and my DS and DDs have snacked on milk and string cheese, but we have not eaten "breakfast" yet. So, when I tell her I am making breakfast she tells me "so, your making lunch." I told her that her comment was not very polite. She said, it wasn't rude, because it was not early. Respect is important to me. I am wondering if I am getting too knitpicky, but... had she made a comment like this to a teacher at school or someone else, I would have seen it as rude. What do you think?

Last edited by Guardandolaluna; 03-16-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
2sunshines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you think this is rude?

depends on so much more... it's hard to say without hearing her tone or seeing her body language you know? I can take those words and make them very rude, or just funny banter depending on the other factors, kwim?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

hmm...maybe Iam not as sensitive as you? Becuase my kids (and when I say kids my stepson and lil brother who are pretty much here half the month--same age as your LO) say that type of thing to me all the time. We banter back and forth like that but in a joking manner. It doesnt bother me...I mean when I am making breaskfast at 10-11 I tell them its brunch and saves me money so I don't have to feed them breakfast and lunch--of course I am kidding--its all apart of the banter for us
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
hmm...maybe Iam not as sensitive as you? Becuase my kids (and when I say kids my stepson and lil brother who are pretty much here half the month--same age as your LO) say that type of thing to me all the time. We banter back and forth like that but in a joking manner. It doesnt bother me...I mean when I am making breaskfast at 10-11 I tell them its brunch and saves me money so I don't have to feed them breakfast and lunch--of course I am kidding--its all apart of the banter for us
i get what you are saying.. we DO joke around here alot. But in this instance, it was more like she was correcting me. It wasn't like when we are joking around. It is such a fine line sometimes. I think that the gentle disciplining part of me goes at bat with the upbringing I had sometimes, KWIM? I grew up in a children must be seen and not heard house. My parents were overly proper sometimes. I am always fighting myself with this!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted "other." Because it depends. Was she trying to joke around and was just giving you a hard time, or was she intentionally being a smart alec to annoy you?

If it was the first, I wouldn't see it as rude, and unless I was already in an irritated mood it wouldn't really bug me.

But if she said it PURPOSEFULLY trying to be a smart alec, then it IS rude and WOULD annoy me.

KWIM??

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
abbie45
Registered Users

I voted annoying/rude because unless she was joking around and the family was too....it just would have come off as haughty (sp?) or rude to me. But I'm a pretty strict parent, too...lol
Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie45 View Post
I voted annoying/rude because unless she was joking around and the family was too....it just would have come off as haughty (sp?) or rude to me. But I'm a pretty strict parent, too...lol
You see, that is just it! It is such a fine line sometimes! My DH is always joking around and I think that it has rubbed off on her to the point where she says things not even thinking. I truly don't think she was trying to annoy me.. she just said it. It wasn't even sarcastic.. it was more like she was correcting me. that is what bugged me. I guess it it because I see my sister do that to my mom all the time. My DD has that same attitude of my sister sometimes - the need to ALWAYS be right!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It would annoy me, but I don't consider it rude. I would probably tell say back to her, well if you want lunch then I guess you are out of luck because I am making breakfast
Old 03-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Carson&Belle View Post
It would annoy me, but I don't consider it rude. I would probably tell say back to her, well if you want lunch then I guess you are out of luck because I am making breakfast
I love that! That would have been a better thing for me to say. I guess from what I am seeing on here.. I need to lighten up a bit

Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
-Blair-
Registered Users

I don't view it as rude in the least. She was merely making a comment about what you were doing/perceived you to be doing.

If it was in a "snotty" tone then I would've perceived it as rude, and simply would've told her to talk to me in a nicer tone.

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote