Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Question about D&C

I had one on Tues & I'm curious to hear from others how long you bled after, how you felt, etc. Mine was due to unexplained PP bleeding (DS is almost 8 mos & I was still bleeding). Well, I had the procedure on Tues at 10 am. When I left, I was bleeding very lightly & same thing on Wed. I barely needed a panty liner. In the middle of the night I got up to feed DS & woosh I started bleeding heavier & today I'm bleeding like a period. I just thought it was weird to go from light to heavier... but I don't know anything about this procedure & I was still druggy feeling in recovery when they gave me my "going home instructions." I just have a piece of paper that basically says nothing in the vagina for 2 days & return if soaking more than a pad an hour & follow up w/doc in 2 weeks.

So I guess I could have left all that out huh? LOL So what was your recovery like?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about D&C

I had to have a D&C due to a miscarriage at 14 weeks and my body wasn't aborting.

I recall having that bleeding for about two to three days. It was similar to PP bleeding but I needed to remember to not lift or do any heavy activity for awhile. We had a sudden death in the unit that weekend (I had my D&C on a Thursday) so I went from my own "issue" to trying to support families in the unit (my DH was the commander) so I don't really recall too much more of my own recovery.

Keep an eye on it (how can you not, eh?) and if this is what made you get the D&C in the first place, I'd go back in to ask questions as to why it's still so heavy. In the mean time, grab yourself a drink (it's too early in the day, so I'm thinking tea or water or something), the remote or a good book and lay your tush on the couch with your feet up slightly above hip level. (I know, kinda hard with little ones around... but it needs to be done)

I hope you feel better soon and it stops!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I had to have 2 d&c's when my ds was 1 week old. After the first I wouldn't stop bleeding still, so they did another, and thought I may have to have a hysterectomy(sp?). I nearly bled to death I don't know for sure, but I think they told me I'd go back to bleeding that's 'normal' after giving birth. I'd call your ob's office. It never hurts to ask!
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk
I had to have 2 d&c's when my ds was 1 week old. After the first I wouldn't stop bleeding still, so they did another, and thought I may have to have a hysterectomy(sp?). I nearly bled to death I don't know for sure, but I think they told me I'd go back to bleeding that's 'normal' after giving birth. I'd call your ob's office. It never hurts to ask!
Wow... poor you.

I half wish they'd just take it all out so I didn't have to deal with it. I've had numrerous surgeries for female issues.

I called my OB office. It's just MA I think that answer the phone & they know my voice b/c I called sooooooooo much about my PP bleeding. Anyway, they're just like "take Motrin & some people bleed longer than others" so I don't tend to take over the phone advice for crap anymore since I had to lie about why I needed an appt (told them for BC) since my PP bleeding issue was apparently no biggy. Then when I got in w/the doc she's like "HOLY!"
Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 d&cs also for miscarriages (11 & 10wks). With the first one, I had light to regular af like bleeding for about 5 days, on the last day I had horrible cramping & passed a huge clot. Then the bleeding tapered down & went away over the weekend. With the 2nd d&c I had light bleeding, only needed pads for the first day or 2, then pantyliners for some spotting but it was gone within a few days.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

I had two D&C's and from what I remember the bleeding lasted for between 1-2 weeks. I do remember it being heavy/light/weird. I would say if you start bleeding really heavy ( I mean really heavy) or it lasts longer than a few weeks to call your doctor.

do they have you going in for a checkup after the procedure?
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Anyone else have FB for me?

TIA.