Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Giving baby water?

My supervisor keeps telling me that I need to give DD water in addition to breastmilk. She nursed her 3 kids and gave them water. She says it helps clean out the kidneys and liver. I don't think Ivy needs anything else. Should I be giving her water?
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Giving baby water?

She doesn't need water if she's nursing alright. Babies under 6 months can actually get water intoxication syndrome from too much water. I'd stick to just the breastmilk for now.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Nope. She only needs breastmilk till six months. Do you have a LLL? Great support!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

they do not need water while their BF, you can give her an oz if you'd like but she is getting all she needs from your body
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
mama23boys
Banned
seller

she dosent need any water at all. joe is 8months and rarely gets water or even food.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start giving my babies water until they were past 6 months except for my last one. And my last one was because we moved out into the desert right after she was born, so that dry heat was something to watch. But even then, it wasn't but more than an ounce or two WHEN she'd take the bottle. otherwise, it was nursing.

don't worry... if your little one is peeing normally, I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

ITA only BM for babies under 6 months

HTH

She is super cute Emma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002
She doesn't need water if she's nursing alright. Babies under 6 months can actually get water intoxication syndrome from too much water. I'd stick to just the breastmilk for now.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't give my daughter water until she started on solids.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Completely agree. Baby needs nothing but breastmilk until 6 months at the earliest. Breastmilk has all the water they need in it (you might consider making sure you're getting enough water, though!). I don't think your supervisor is up on the latest BF info. As someone else mentioned, giving water is advice they gave 20-30 years ago (my mom was advised to give me water, she wound up breastfeeding for I think about 2 months). Instead of just adding to her liquid intake, the water will actually replace some of your milk in her liquid intake, which, if you offer enough of it, can lead to supply problems as your body responds to the decreased milk intake.

I started giving DS a few sips out of my water cup when he started reaching for it, which was about 5 and a half months, and it was for the novelty of it, not because he needed it.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually saw something on the news about giving babies water who are under 5 or 6 months. Big "no-no". They were saying that they only need breastmilk or formula and that's it. If they get too much water, they can be in danger b/c of their sodium balance and other stuff. He said babies can actually die if they are given too much water too young. The doctors were saying no water - a sip or two here or there isn't bad, but they said just feed them BM or formula and they'll be just fine. I only gave Ethan water at five months on particularly hot days when he was developing a heat rash but he only had a few sips.