Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby Food

Ok, so I have a bunch of questions that I need answered. lol

I plan on making Ds' baby food in about a month (he's already acting pretty ready, but I'm trying despirately to hold off until 6 months, especially since he has no teeth & can't quite sit on his own). I was thinking of making it in batches & freezing it.

I can either do the ice cube tray thing, or I have a ton of empty glass bottles that I can do it in. If I do the glass bottles, how much should I put in them? I was thinking 1 oz (isn't that what the icecube trays are?) but would that be by weight? Could I put it on my scale and do an oz that way?

How do I thaw it? And how long is it good for once thawed? How do you travel w/homemade baby food? Should I get a few jars of organics to travel with? (I'd really prefer NOT to do that). Any other advice?

TIA!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Food

here are some links I was referred to
http://www.vrg.org/recipes/babyfood.htm#what

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

We made all of our babies' food - it's really easy to travel with them. Just take things that aren't "refrigerator food" - i.e., a banana or mango that you can mash "on site," small whole wheat crackers or bread, etc.

My almost-3-year olds STILL love "squash-cicles." And ice cream peas.

I am a bit unorthodox about food, though.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
MrsBreeder
Registered Users

My Mood:

WE made our own food, too. I think my daughter, who is two, had about two bites of premade jarred food in her entire life.

Basically, what I do is this: Go to store, pick out fruit or veggie. Do whatever you have to do to make it mushy (boil, etc) and then food process it. Then we put it in the ice cube trays.

Pop those suckers out when they're done and stick them in a bowl in the freezer. Then we'd put them in the microwave on about 30 percent power to defrost.

It really is fun to make baby food!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I make all my babies food as well. I just freeze in plastic containers. I would be worried about freezing glass but if you leave enough header room you should be fine. I just cook up what ever, mush it and freeze it. I keep stuff in the fridge for 3-4 days. When we go out we just take along a soft cooler with an ice pack in it.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
sherrydeanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just use ice cube trays and then put it in ziplocs once it's frozen. I have some tiny tuperware that I just stick two frozen cubes in when we're going out. In about 3 hours it's thawed
www.hyenacart.com/BetterBums Fridays at noon
sherrydeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I don't buy commercial cereal, organic or not. For some reason it seems to be drained of it's fiber content and just blocks babies up. Plus I think rice cereal is nutritionally inadequate for little tummies.

Making barley or oatmeal is very easy, just just toss some in the blender or food processor and grind it up until it's powdery-semi chunky. The barley is a lot harder to grind up than the oatmeal, so save the barley for older babies. Then you mix it with boiling water until it's soft and tender. water/cereal proportions are 2/1. So you have 1 cup ground oats, mix with 2 cups boiling water. I add in breastmilk to thin it back out because it gets really thick, but you can just use extra water. I tend to make about 4 cups of cereal at a time and freeze it.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote