Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
weddell
Registered Users
seller

MMR question for vaxers and non

My DD just turned 1 and has had all her vaccinations up until now. She has had bad eczema since she was around 1 month old and it has been really bad this summer. She has been tested by an allergist for food allergies and is allergic to milk, eggs, and sesame (the sesame could kill her). Her ped didn't want to give her the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps, rubella) in his office because it is grown in egg protein and could potentially cause an allergic reaction in her. He told me to call her allergist and ask what he wanted done. I called today and they told me that they like to do it in the allergist's office over 1.5 hours, giving a little of the vaccine at a time and watching for a reaction. At my dd's regular ped appointment they did give her the other vaccinations and today her ezcema is HORRIBLE. I think it is because of the vaccines. I don't know that I want to sit in the allergist's office for hours while they give my dd multiple shots that will probably make her ezcema worse for the next week. I believe in giving vaccines, but I just don't know that getting the MMR right now is worth the trouble it will cause. What do other people think? What should I say to the allergist (we are going tomorrow morning to have him look at her skin, and TALK about the MMR)? I am thinking of asking about delaying it. How should I approach it?
Thanks!
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: MMR question for vaxers and non

No advice here but just wanted to say that we are in a somewhat similar situation with our DD.

We went to bring her to her 1yr immunization and while we were there we mentioned how she seemed to have an allergice reaction to eggs. Her Dr. agreed that it sounded bad so he said he would rather hold off on the MMR and just give her the other one and referred her to an allergist to find out about the egg.

Then his office called back with the date of the appointment for the allergist and it not until NEXT YEAR in May. We thought WHAT she is supposed to wait a whole year without knowing for sure if she is allergic, but has horrible reactions to anything with egg in it, and a whole year before having the MMR.

So we decided to just go ahead with the MMR, if we have to wait a whole year because it's not worth it for her to possibly get something else from not having the shot and we have a new baby coming, but we have an appointment next week with her DR to ask for sure.

Hope they can figure something out to help your DD. I definately wouldn't want for her to have a bad reaction either if I was you.

It was interesting to read about how they told you the allergist would do the shot, wonder if it's like that here too in Canada.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
A'smommy
Registered Users

So sorry you are having such trouble. My DD had no reaction whatsoever, even tho I was totally worried.

Maybe you could ask the allergist if time would help the reaction...you know, waiting on the MMR at least until the eczema from the first round clears up? With my DD we spaced some of the shots, just to be sure. I wonder if s/he (the allergist) has an opinion on whether that would help? I ended up not waiting to do all DD's shots one at a time (which I had thought was a good idea at first) because of all the sick kids in the waiting rooms at the pedi's office. Seemed to me like the extra time and exposure to germs in the waiting room was worse than getting multiple shots at once. But if you're in an allergist's office, at least there should be fewer germs for your DD to catch.

GL!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
cuties02q
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD didn't get the mmr until she was 3!
PhotographyBlog
cuties02q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

we are not getting MMR till my DS is at least 2 but hopfully 3. It is not something you need right now and if they are that concerned maybe they could break the shot up into 3 sections and administer it over a few months like measel one month mumps the next and rubella after that? IMO I would wait there are not many cases of MMR out there to warrent getting the shot JMO.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie
we are not getting MMR till my DS is at least 2 but hopfully 3. It is not something you need right now and if they are that concerned maybe they could break the shot up into 3 sections and administer it over a few months like measel one month mumps the next and rubella after that? IMO I would wait there are not many cases of MMR out there to warrent getting the shot JMO.
That's what I'm thinking too. DH really wants her to get it soon, but I'm thinking of telling him that if he wants her to get it that badly, he can take the day off work and take her to the allergist's to get it done. I know he won't do it. I think 2 or 3 is a better age and hopefully by then she will have outgrown her egg allergy and can get the shot normally. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Babyvan
Registered Users

Just wanted to say that eczema is a sign of autoimmune dsyfunction. If her eczema is worsening after a vaccine, that is a sign that her immune system is not strong enough to rally up to fight off the pathogens in the vaccine. I would strongly suggest you look into natural ways of building up her immune system, avoiding dangerous pathogens for the time being, and stop vaxing, at least for the time being (do a LOT of research, you may need to stop for good). For her, the risks just may not outweigh the benefits.
good luck
Amy
Babyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
momtothreeboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three boys and I am pro-vax. I have vaxed all three. The mmr scares me. I am holding off(possibly) till my 7 month old is three. My second son got it when he was 12 months and had a reaction. Ds was a very sickly child, asphyxia at borth, reflux, bradycardia, apnea, rsv-the list goes on. So his circumstances are a little different. But the day he got his mmr he looked like he was having mini seizures. We took him in and they sent him to have an eeg-it was normal. He continued to do it so they did a prolonged eeg and caught him doing it on videotape. I was not seizures or tics. I spoke to the top pediatric neurologist in the state and she said it was shuddering attacks. He did it for a few months and dosen't do it. In my extensive research of non-biased info I have learned that shuddering atacks are caused by asphyxia at birth and oxygen levels dropping due to asthma. I think the mmr vaccine caused his asthma to act up. The ped stated that it was possible that the vax caused this. My third son and first son were very healthy and has had no reactions to vaxes but because of what happened last time I want to wait. My ped agres and wants be to do what I think is best.

He did tell me there is an outbreak of mumps in the midwest right now. I also read it in my local paper,SCAREY. If the outbreak is controlled and does not spread I will wait, if not I will get it-no question!!!

Also, do your own research some people are well intentioned but they will say anything to get you to vax or to not vax. Talk to your ped, beyond popular belief they do recognize that vaxes do cause side effects. The friends I have that don't vax or delay vax their peds understand. More so the delay vax the no vax they usually have a prob with that. The internet has a lot of biased info, watch out. Pediatricians believe the benefits out weigh the risk of catching these illnesess. That is what they believe, you have to make up your own mind and talk to him about it. I talked to mine and he totally understood and believes a wait would be better.
momtothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
weddell
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothreeboys
I have three boys and I am pro-vax. I have vaxed all three. The mmr scares me. I am holding off(possibly) till my 7 month old is three. My second son got it when he was 12 months and had a reaction. Ds was a very sickly child, asphyxia at borth, reflux, bradycardia, apnea, rsv-the list goes on. So his circumstances are a little different. But the day he got his mmr he looked like he was having mini seizures. We took him in and they sent him to have an eeg-it was normal. He continued to do it so they did a prolonged eeg and caught him doing it on videotape. I was not seizures or tics. I spoke to the top pediatric neurologist in the state and she said it was shuddering attacks. He did it for a few months and dosen't do it. In my extensive research of non-biased info I have learned that shuddering atacks are caused by asphyxia at birth and oxygen levels dropping due to asthma. I think the mmr vaccine caused his asthma to act up. The ped stated that it was possible that the vax caused this. My third son and first son were very healthy and has had no reactions to vaxes but because of what happened last time I want to wait. My ped agres and wants be to do what I think is best.

He did tell me there is an outbreak of mumps in the midwest right now. I also read it in my local paper,SCAREY. If the outbreak is controlled and does not spread I will wait, if not I will get it-no question!!!

Also, do your own research some people are well intentioned but they will say anything to get you to vax or to not vax. Talk to your ped, beyond popular belief they do recognize that vaxes do cause side effects. The friends I have that don't vax or delay vax their peds understand. More so the delay vax the no vax they usually have a prob with that. The internet has a lot of biased info, watch out. Pediatricians believe the benefits out weigh the risk of catching these illnesess. That is what they believe, you have to make up your own mind and talk to him about it. I talked to mine and he totally understood and believes a wait would be better.

I really agree with a lot of what you said. This is why I'm conflicted because I do think vaxing is good for the most part, I'm just worried that for DD there are factors that may outweigh the benefits.

I decided to go ahead and do it largely because of the outbreaks of mumps in the Midwest. We live in a college town in the Midwest and my mom lives in a college town where one of the worst outbreaks has occurred. DD isn't in daycare, but we do go out a lot and see other kids. My sister is in college and so is around some of these diseases and so could be a carrier. All of this makes me think she is at some risk (although small).

Thanks for all the advice!