Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

bottlefeeding question

Quick question. DS is bottlefeed fulltime and when he was around three months old I bought him new nipples for his bottles (the stage after newborn I believe.) On the package it said that you are supposed to replace nipples every three months for sanitary reasons. It didn't say that they will wear out...? He is now over 6 months old so if it's true I need to be going out and getting them sometime soon. They are $4 a package though and I have to buy 6 packages

Anyway, could somebody please shed some light on this for me? Could I just boil the nipples to sanitize them so they'll last longer? Or not? lol, TIA!
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bottlefeeding question

If you don't replace, just keep check on them to make sure they are in good condition. I don't really have loads of experience with bottles to say yes or no...

Last edited by Knittress; 09-13-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I don't totally stick with the 3 month rule. I watch and then replace. If they start to turn color (like a white coating), get a sticky feeling, crack or mis shape then I replace immediatly. Boiling over and over actually will wear some nipples out faster, just depends on which nipples you have.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

No, I don't replace every 3 mths. I check them each as they come out of the dishwasher and throw away ant that are cracked, split or sticky. I use mostly the clear type and they last forever!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never replaced nipples.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only time I did a full replace was when we switched to the size 1 nipple to the size 2 for the avent bottles. Most babies would do well with a size 3 at 11 months but DD was breastfed for 6 months and apparently breastfed babies don't go up past a two? That is what I heard, don't understand it but we tried a 3 and she still chokes.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote