Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Tracylhl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Purging the closets. What do you do?

DH and I have spent the last couple days purging the house and closets to move everything around and make room for baby. To say that I keep just about everything would be an understatement. I have prom dresses from high school still! So, a lot of it has gone in the garbage and some stuff I'm going to e-bay, but there is a lot of stuff that I know won't really sell on e-bay. Especially clothes - mens suits, women's suits, nice dress shirts and brand name stuff. Most of it is a couple years old at least so not stuff that is in hot demand now.

What do you all do with that kind of stuff? Unfortunately we just had a garage sale about a month ago and dh isn't going to go for another one anytime soon. I'm hoping for one at the end of the year, but can't hold this stuff all till then. Do I send it all to the thrift store? Is it worth the extra trip (about 12 miles) to take stuff like this to a consignment store? I've never taken stuff to one and not really sure if it would get me much money or if it's more of just a pain. Other suggestions? Thanks! I'm really trying to be ruthless and get rid of TONS of stuff, but I tend to get hung up on not wanting to throw away the money spent on stuff (or possibly the money we could get for it) or I have sentimental attachments to stuff.

www.yelloworchiddesigns.com
Tracylhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: Purging the closets. What do you do?

Hmm, well, you probably won't get too much at a consignment store. Those places mark stuff WAY up. I keep telling my mom not to bother buying the boys clothes at a resale store because they are often as much or more than new! If you donate them, you are giving low income families the chance to purchase bargain clothes (and if they are career type clothes that can be particularly helpful for people) as well as helping out a charity. I don't sell our old clothes--I just donate them. But we don't have much nice stuff to get rid of. It's always worth a try to see if you might get some money for them.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Tracylhl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, Carrie! You really helped out! Along the lines of what you said about the thrift store and career clothes, I remembered that we have a place not far away that helps people struggling w/ addictions and abuse to get homes and careers started again. I bet that they could really use some career kind of clothing! I would feel good about giving them this stuff. As with most of us SAHM's (and parents in general) I would like to get a little extra money out of this stuff when I know we spent a lot on it to start, but donating it directly to someone that can really benefit from it would be just as rewarding!

Keep the ideas coming, Girls. But I definately think that this is what I'll do with at least DH's suits and dress shirts that he's ummm.... not squeezing into so comfortably these days!

www.yelloworchiddesigns.com
Tracylhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sell them here or on ebay? lol
Old 05-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i like carries idea
and the other stuff you can sell it here for little money +the cost of acutal shipping
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

I bet after all of it has left the house, you won't even know it's gone or remember it.

Good for you girl!!!

I'll get your PAT out Mon.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracylhl
Wow, Carrie! You really helped out! Along the lines of what you said about the thrift store and career clothes, I remembered that we have a place not far away that helps people struggling w/ addictions and abuse to get homes and careers started again. I bet that they could really use some career kind of clothing! I would feel good about giving them this stuff. As with most of us SAHM's (and parents in general) I would like to get a little extra money out of this stuff when I know we spent a lot on it to start, but donating it directly to someone that can really benefit from it would be just as rewarding!

Keep the ideas coming, Girls. But I definately think that this is what I'll do with at least DH's suits and dress shirts that he's ummm.... not squeezing into so comfortably these days!
Call them up. They might even send a truck out to pick it all up, if there is a lot of clothes and stuff. That is what we did (an alcohol, drug and womens shleter), and they came and got it and were very greatful to have it.

In the end though, up to a week before the baby was born, we took stuff by the car load over to the goodwill and salvation army. (Goodwill was open from 9-9 to drop things off.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
jessicad
Registered Users

I donate everything. I have a huge problem parting with things too, but finally I just convinced myself that these clothes would be helping somebody and that made me feel a lot better about it. You can also deduct clothing donations on you taxes.
jessicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You've gotten good tips!
Keep in mind that with a baby it will probably help you out to itemize your taxes next year. Save all your medical receipts, etc. and you might be able to deduct them if your co-pays for your maternity visits or labs or hosptial stays end up being enough to deduct. I mention that because if you itemize you can also deduct non-cash donations up to $500. You can actually deduct more than $500 in non-cash if you keep good records.
That way you don't have to think about it as getting rid of things that cost you money, you can think of helping someone else and getting a tax deduction too!

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote