Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
sweetmakiah
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile I need some advice please....

My baby is almost six months now and i have been doing the shots from the start ,but everytime i take her i fell like its so wrong..i have talked to another mom who doesnt vax her kids and i agree with it and all the reasons behind it...but then there is my family who tells me im wrong for not doing the shots and what if she gets sick and the whole school thing.which is a long way off but still..im tied in between both and not sure what to do here..if there is any advice please let me know what to do! Thanks

Baby #2 Due in October...
sweetmakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need some advice please....

If you're unsure at all, DON'T DO IT!!! You can always go back and give them to her later, you can never go back and take them away.

My son was vax'd for 4 years and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life. Do your research and make the decision that you know is best for your family.

P.S. School isn't an issue, there are exemption forms for that.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

curious about this too what about wic and medicaid....i have those and i would like to stop with vaxes even though she dont have anymore for a while.....what do u tell them?? since they ask for shot records
Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When in doubt wait it out.

There are school exemptions
WIC won'y cut you off. They KNOW my kids are unvaxed (3 youngest).
Medicaid - eh I tell them we are "up to date on required immunizations" and that I "left all my forms at home" and that "I get all my shots at the pediatricians office"

These are NOT actual lies.
Required shots: no such thing, they are a RECCOMENDATION by the cdc/aap so my kids have every "legally required unexemptable vaccination" I also say "they are up-to-date" b/c according to ME they are right on schedule (worth noting: if my child is SICK I tell anyone who might need to know that the kid's not vaxed as it may alter treatment). I do HAVE a shot record since my first was initially immunized, so thats "all my records" and I DO get "all my shots at the pediatricians" as in all ZERO vaccinations and shots of antibiotics when one child was desperately ill.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
2beautifulgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayncadence
curious about this too what about wic and medicaid....i have those and i would like to stop with vaxes even though she dont have anymore for a while.....what do u tell them?? since they ask for shot records
I had WIC and neither of my dd's have ever been vax'd. They would always ask and I would say no. this one lady at their office was really nice about it. some of them would just tell me that she needs to get caught up blah blah blah, and i would just nod and smile. but i never had any problems with them for not being vax'd.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has your DC had ay reactions that might make you wary on not giving any more shots? If so, then I would pick which vaxes to get very carefully. If there hasn't been any bad reaction, honestly, I'd just keep giving them.

DS DID have a reaction. Nothing horrible, but enough that I am delaying vaxes now. We're getting his second DTaP though in about 2 weeks.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

My first dd reacted to her first DTaP and neither girl has been vax'd since. I don't know about WIC or Medicaid,(don't have those) but our Ped. is awesome and my family is as well. I just sent my family members info on the risks of vax'ing and they read and agreed with my decision.
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot- on family:

my mom freaked a bit too.
I told her that my childs life MATTERS to me, more than it could possibly matter to her, That I have done careful research and am doing what I believe to be best for my child.
I told her that the risk of the vax is greater than the risk of the disease especially in the first 2 years of life. That the vax risks decrease further at age 5. That I would vax as soon as I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks. That health is VERY important to me.
This calmed her immensely.
My oldest is 8 now and hasn't had a shot in 7 years and isn't likely to get any until he's grown and makes his own choices. But my mom hasn't asked in years.