Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Healthy Food

Hi, everyone! Does anyone have any ideas for healthy snacks? Our school came up w/ a new wellness policy which rules out candy, cakes and other sweets. Fat-laden foods, too. Every time a parent asks if they can bring a cake for their child's birthday, I explain our new wellness policy and invite them to bring a healthy snack instead. Then, of course they come back to me saying they can't think of anything… I thought maybe we could put our heads together and think of healthy, but fun snacks for kids. Here's what I've come up w/ so far. Pls. add!

-Jello Jigglers
-Veggies & Dip
-Peanut Butter & Jelly Triangles
-Crackers & Cheese Shapes
-Apples & Dip
-Celery & Cream Cheese (or Peanut Butter)
-Fruit Roll Ups (?does this count?)
-Granola Bars
-Trail Mix
-Chex Mix

What else???
Old 09-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Healthy Food

kids love string cheese, though it does seem a bit processed, so i am not sure it would be part of the healthy snack plan. and can i add WAY TO GO for your school with implementing that!! if only more schools would do so. i just last week read an article about this very subject. there may have been a link to snack ideas, i'll check that out if i can find it.

oh, and are you sure peanut butter is allowed? i know many schools are forbidding it due to so many serious peanut allergies. there are other nut butters that would be good too though, that are available at regular grocery stores.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

What about Fruit Kababs, I have even heard of moms using stick pretzels as the skewer and putting on a couple pieces of fruit.

This is from Kraft foods, I think it has some decent ideas for semi-healthy snacks. You can always modify them too. http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/bts/snackIdeas.htm

I really like the fruit and cheese bites and the snack mix w/ popcorn.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Cloth4us
Registered Users

Juice pops- just freeze some fruit juice
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

raisins
wheat pita bread and hummus (dd loves this)
also carrots and other veggies to be dipped in hummus.
yogurt?
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good ideas! Keep 'em coming!
As for the peanut butter q, our school is more of a 'fix it after it's happened' school. We've had no issues w/ peanuts and allergic students thus far, so I don't think they'll come up w/ any kind of a policy re: no peanuts till one comes along. Sad, but true.
One of my students' parents ended up making jello w/ artificial sweetener for today topped w/ cream cheese and crushed graham crackers. Now...why our school is suggesting replacing natural sugar w/ artificial sweetener, I do not know, but they're working toward healthy nutrition in baby steps, I guess.