Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

Okay, so let me start by saying Pleeease...no benefits of breastmilk preaching or criticisms here please. Daughter has had nothing but breastmilk (and now some solids) for 8+ months, and I plan to continue for at least a year, so I'm not throwing in the towel here or anything, BUT...I'm having trouble pumping enough for dd. I work full time and pump twice while I'm at work and leave on my lunch break to go nurse her. I set my alarm for 2:00 a.m. almost every night to pump again. I have tried pumping other times (after I nurse in the morning and before she goes to bed for the night), but there is nothing to pump. I have also always continued to pump well after the milk stops flowing. I KNOW I need to drink more water, and I am going to try Fenugreek, but are there any WOHM's out there who have suggestions for me? Also, DD has slept through the night since she was about 2 mo., so I'm not about to wake her up to nurse her every 2 or 3 hours. She has good healthy sleep habits, and I don't want to confuse her if that makes sense. She has milk 5-6 times a day from 6:30 a.m. until about 8:00 p.m. Also, if I'm up late, I will pump before I go to bed and then again at 2:00 a.m. Sorry to ramble, and thank you to anyone taking the time to read this and reply with positive feedback and helpful suggestions.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

I can't see anyone critisizing a momma doing her best to provide for her baby!

How long do you pump at each session? What kind of pump?
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you It's a Medela Pump in Style (original), and I pump for 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
I can't see anyone critisizing a momma doing her best to provide for her baby!

How long do you pump at each session? What kind of pump?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try building your suppy by pumping one boob and let her eat off the other. and when she is done, pump whatever is left. and then next time do the other side. also, if you want to build your supply more, try pumping like every 2-3 hrs.

Your lo might just be ready for more solids than you think too. Your lo is growin, and growin and eating habits can constantly change with growth spurts, sicknesses, teething, etc. Just keep doing what you are doing. seems like a perfect schedule you have going on. dont stress yourself out. that can cause loss of breast milk too.
Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
pumpkins_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off, YAY you for sticking with BFing and pumping this long!
I am a FT WOHM that has been BFing and pumping too. I have trouble getting enough because my daughter loves to eat! I have plenty of milk when I am with her, but I just don't respond well to the pump, even though I have a top-of-the-line consumer pump. I have taken fenugreek pills - they seem to make a real difference. The other thing that helped me is squeezing my breasts while pumping - so it's kind of like manual expression and electric pump in one. Also, I had to purchase larger breast shields - that has helped, too.
I'm guessing you've tried all of the classic suggestions - like looking at photos of your LO and trying to relax while pumping...
Oh, but the good news is that now DD is 9 months, and I am pumping pretty much exactly what she is eating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that a similar change happens for you.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes the pump you have makes a difference, and if you know you need more water that makes a HUGE difference. You will be amazed at how much milk you can get out when you are well hydrated and "topped-off" so to speak.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the support and suggestions. Hopefully the Fenugreek will work..need to go take it now. I will try squeezing too..hehe I haven't tried larger breast shields...thinking mine are fine for my average size..(B/C)..any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkins_mom View Post

First off, YAY you for sticking with BFing and pumping this long!
I am a FT WOHM that has been BFing and pumping too. I have trouble getting enough because my daughter loves to eat! I have plenty of milk when I am with her, but I just don't respond well to the pump, even though I have a top-of-the-line consumer pump. I have taken fenugreek pills - they seem to make a real difference. The other thing that helped me is squeezing my breasts while pumping - so it's kind of like manual expression and electric pump in one. Also, I had to purchase larger breast shields - that has helped, too.
I'm guessing you've tried all of the classic suggestions - like looking at photos of your LO and trying to relax while pumping...
Oh, but the good news is that now DD is 9 months, and I am pumping pretty much exactly what she is eating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that a similar change happens for you.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A few things, mama. And good for you!
-Make sure you're using a hospital grade electric pump (you can rent one from a hospital); some mamas need the extra stimulation when they work and are away from baby so long
-Try an herbal tincture, Motherlove Herbals makes one called "More Milk". Take it religiously for a few days and try super pumping for a day or two (pumping every 2-3 hours) to get your supply perked up.
I worked at a breastfeeding resource store for about a year until we closed recently so I've helped lots of mamas in your situation. This usually does the trick! Good luck and good for you, mama!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugghh...hope they will rent one to me cheap..we're broke! I will look into it for sure though. Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama View Post
A few things, mama. And good for you!
-Make sure you're using a hospital grade electric pump (you can rent one from a hospital); some mamas need the extra stimulation when they work and are away from baby so long
-Try an herbal tincture, Motherlove Herbals makes one called "More Milk". Take it religiously for a few days and try super pumping for a day or two (pumping every 2-3 hours) to get your supply perked up.
I worked at a breastfeeding resource store for about a year until we closed recently so I've helped lots of mamas in your situation. This usually does the trick! Good luck and good for you, mama!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the suggestions and support. To PP, I know what you mean about Mondays being hard...seriously hard to get back in the pumpin' groove. I know I will mourn when weaning comes, but there will be a small bright side...no more pumping...I seriously am getting to the point where I hate it...maybe that's part of my problem. I've tried to keep in mind why I am doing and thinking about my daughter, looking at pics, etc. This does help witth the letdown, but that hasn't really been a big problem (EXCEPT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT PUMPING FOR SOME REASONS..IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEA WHY OR A WAY TO GET OVER THAT PROBLEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW). The middle of the night pumping is the only way I have any chance of freezing more for when I am away on a short trip in July. IF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FROZEN, WE'LL HAVE TO SUPPLEMENT, and thought I know it's not poison, I'd like to do what I can to avoid it if possible.