Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When did you start solids? Why?

Howdy,
I'm kinda struggling w/ the whole solid foods thing right now. I've got most of my family and plenty of strangers asking me why I'm not getting her on solids yet. My daughter will be 6 months on May 25th. I don't see the need in it...she's about 19lbs. But on the other hand she is watching me eat my food and giving me this 'look'.

We've had no problems bfing. When I do start solids I'm going make everything at home.

I guess I just need some advice from those who have dealt w/ this before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start feeding her solids just b/c ppl are saying things, I would just like some advice

Thanks!
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you start solids? Why?

I am struggling with this too. My DD will be 6m on the 29th. I also get "the look" while I am eating. She has also been sitting unassisted for over a week, and those teeth are ready to pop any day now (I hope because our nights have been terrible due to teething!) With all those things I think she is ready to give it a go, but I think I am not ready to be done with the EBF stage - it is just gone to quickly!

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6 months -rice cereal
9 months started pureed baby foods becasue LO was reaching for EVERYONE's food. She wanted it so badly!
We delayed because I have some food allergies. I think a lot of Moms start at least cereal around 3 months.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Neither of mine had anything until they were a year old.

I would at least wait a few months more, she is still SO young!

And when you do I would stay away from Rice Cereal, there is no need for it, and do mashed up avacados/bananas/etc.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
ProudHooahWife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post

And when you do I would stay away from Rice Cereal, there is no need for it, and do mashed up avacados/bananas/etc.
I totally agree with this!!!

Mine didn't get solids till 10 months old and my youngest is still breastfeeding

We just PCSed from Ft Bliss TX to Ft Meade MD...sooo excited about that!!

Addicted to Piddle Poddles!!! I LOVE them!!! I really should find the wagon....someday!!!
ProudHooahWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What's the problem w/ rice cereal?
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's the kellymom link on starting solids - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

A babe's digestive system is immature until at least 6 months. Introducing solids earlier can lead to food allergies and other digestive issues. A lot of peds are not up to date on this information so I would do your own research on it. Babe's may show interest in the mechanics for eating before 6 months, but their digestive systems just aren't ready. They need to meet all milestones for solids readiness, including sitting well unassisted, no tongue thrust, able to and willing to chew, is developing a pincer grasp between the fore-finger and thumb, and willing to participate in mealtime. All of these have to be met, not just one or two.

Purees really aren't necessary when starting solids at 6 months or later. Baby's are entirely capable of self feeding chunks or spears of food such as avocado, banana, cooked sweet potato,etc. During the first year, solids are for experimentation and learning about textures, tastes, etc. They are not meant for nutrition. Only 0-25% of a babe's nutrition should be coming from them, the majority should be coming from breastmilk. We started out by giving my DS chunks of avocado to self feed, now at 8 months he eats maybe once a day (fresh fruits and veggies) and is a healthy 30lbs and 30 inches. He still nurses at least 8-10 times a day.

Rice cereal can be very hard on a babe's digestive system because the nutrients are hard to absorb, and it teaches them nothing about tastes and textures. Honestly its a throwback to about 30-40 years ago when doctors told mom's to start feeding solids at 3 weeks, and they needed a food that was least likely to cause problems. Its just not necessary anymore. Its the equivalent of wallpaper paste in my opinion. As far as vitamins in rice cereal, all of those vitamins are in breastmilk.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Jannah5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my children started at different ages. My last one was the earliest, 1 week before he turned 4 months. He was still hungry after nursing, so I started him on farina. He took to it like a fish to water. He's now 8 months old and loves a good meal
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Agree!!! And Livie LOVES avacados/bananas... shhh, I think it's pretty tasty myself !

Olivia is just now REALLY diving into 'food' - we started because she wanted everyone elses at about 7.5/8 mos.

At 9 mos (18 lbs) she has either supper fine cut up pears or bananas w/some organic 'oat o's' OR some oatmeal n' applesauce mixed, no solids for lunch most days, and then she'll have some steamed fine cut up zuchinni, squash, sweetpototo, carrots, green beans, peas,corn, or potatos for dinner.

We don't puree much as she seems to gag on it (or the lack of the texture of it). I have pureed the ava/banana goop and even homemade soups when we eat them.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

This is what we did. Nikolas started some solids around 10 months jsut after I got pregnant but he didn't really start eating any "meals" until about a year and we skipped all "baby food" and went straight to bananas, avocado, peas, pears...just all mashed up.

He is still nursing too.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote