Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

just a random question

why do some people (a lot from what ive seen/people i know/etc) not consider rice cereal a solid food?

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
litlepick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: just a random question

people seem surprised to learn that any pureed food is still a solid
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I think many people don't think it has an type of nutritional value and so just think of it as "empty eating." And, compared to many other solid foods, bm, and formula it doesn't. Rice cereal was encouraged as a first food b/c it is the gentlest and easiest first food for babies gut BEFORE babies are developmentally ready for food. SO, if you go with what BABY is ready for, you don't need it. If you want to shovel in food before baby can actually tolerate it, than probably something to start with. It just isn't necessary.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Well, I think many people don't think it has an type of nutritional value and so just think of it as "empty eating." And, compared to many other solid foods, bm, and formula it doesn't. Rice cereal was encouraged as a first food b/c it is the gentlest and easiest first food for babies gut BEFORE babies are developmentally ready for food. SO, if you go with what BABY is ready for, you don't need it. If you want to shovel in food before baby can actually tolerate it, than probably something to start with. It just isn't necessary.
I think she means the people who put rice cereal in bottles at like 6 weeks?

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I think she means the people who put rice cereal in bottles at like 6 weeks?
That should NEVER be done. Those poor babies are at such an extremely high risk for food allergies and other health issues. A baby isn't meant to have any solids until the gut closes which doesn't happen until 6 months.

Many people just don't realize how small a baby's tummy is. At birth, it is only the size of an adult's thumbnail. Yes, that small. By the time they are 6 weeks it is just about the size of their fist. That is why babies need to nurse so frequently. They don't have a lot of storage capacity!