Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Advice Needed for SCREAMING 1 year old!

My son is just over a year old and has discovered a new trick to gain attention- screaming and I mean SCREAMING like a banshee. I have never heard something so ear piercing. Any advice on how to curb this...other than ignoring because that hasn't worked.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advice Needed for SCREAMING 1 year old!

I would try finding something safe to ingest that tastes bad -- vinegar, perhaps -- and put a little bit in his mouth when he does it. Might take a few times, but pretty soon he'll figure out that screaming gets a nasty taste put in his mouth.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would try finding something safe to ingest that tastes bad -- vinegar, perhaps -- and put a little bit in his mouth when he does it. Might take a few times, but pretty soon he'll figure out that screaming gets a nasty taste put in his mouth.
Is this a joke? I wouldn't even treat a dog like that, let alone my child.

It's a phase, once they learn to communicate this behaviour will stop. I'm going through it with though though. Try to encourage baby to communicate (by signing or verbalizing) before you respond to their need (whatever you know they're screaming for). You'll see a gradual improvement soon, as long as you don't encourage the screaming by responding to it and giving the child what they want (occasionally, it probably wouldn't hurt to respond to the screaming but you don't want to do it consistently).

ETA: to illustrate, if you know baby is screaming because he/she wants water, you might say "Would you like some water (enunciating the consonants - Wa-TeR)?" Make the sign for water "Can you say 'Wa-TeR'?" etc. Once they make some sort of vocalization (doesn't have to sound anything like what you've asked them to say), then respond to them. Of course, sometimes they're just so insistent that they need whatever it is RIGHT NOW, and in that case I'd wouldn't be so demanding for a response and just respond to their need.

Last edited by mum2James&Julia; 05-27-2008 at 08:08 AM.
mum2James&Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2James&Julia View Post
Is this a joke? I wouldn't even treat a dog like that, let alone my child.

It's a phase, once they learn to communicate this behaviour will stop. I'm going through it with though though. Try to encourage baby to communicate (by signing or verbalizing) before you respond to their need (whatever you know they're screaming for). You'll see a gradual improvement soon, as long as you don't encourage the screaming by responding to it and giving the child what they want (occasionally, it probably wouldn't hurt to respond to the screaming but you don't want to do it consistently).

ETA: to illustrate, if you know baby is screaming because he/she wants water, you might say "Would you like some water (enunciating the consonants - Wa-TeR)?" Make the sign for water "Can you say 'Wa-TeR'?" etc. Once they make some sort of vocalization (doesn't have to sound anything like what you've asked them to say), then respond to them. Of course, sometimes they're just so insistent that they need whatever it is RIGHT NOW, and in that case I'd wouldn't be so demanding for a response and just respond to their need.

Very well said!!! I would never do that to my baby! She is one year old and doing the same thing. ITS A PHASE!!!!! SERIOUSLY! WHY WOULD YOU PUNISH
Should we put something in your mouth everytime you have a ugly attitude? Be kind to them! They are babies! They are just discovering how things work.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm the original poster...the one with the 13 month old screamer. I'm definitely not ready to discipline my son yet, as he is only 13 months and it is still beyond him to understand right vs. wrong. I know it is my place to teach him this, but every book I have read does say that at this age it's all about distraction and re-direction not consequences. Don't get me wrong, I believe that appropriate discipline (for us it's time-outs and removal of privilages) has it's time and place with children who are able to comprehend consequences (like my 3 yo daughter).

Just a side note...he doesn't always scream when he wants something sometimes I think it's just to be heard over the rest of us- LOL, we have a loud family. Wasn't sure if anyone had found any ideas to "redirect" the screaming that would be appropriate for a 1 yo. We have been working on signing but he is very verbal- already making distinct sounds/words for "milk", "mommy", "that"... I know he'll grow out of it, but I may lose my hearing!

Thank you for your suggestions, and it is always great to have a new perspective on things. Not to mention starting a controversy!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my LO I get down on her level and whisper to her. Works for us. The other thing I've done is to BRIEFLY walk out of the room (like if I'm on the phone, peeking at her the whole time) and return the second she quiets a bit. I agree that it's a phase and different things work for different folks!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttachuk View Post
Just a side note...he doesn't always scream when he wants something sometimes I think it's just to be heard over the rest of us- LOL, we have a loud family.
Ack, this is us too! We are so loud! My dh's family is worse - honestly sometimes I avoid family gatherings b/c everyone is so loud! Not yelling, just loud. Our kids are loud, now, too...which I know is some just b/c they're kids, but some b/c we are a loud household. There are different ways we deal with things, depending on the situation - if they are yelling/screaming for attention or just to be rude, then that's a "whatever you want to call it" issue - if they're just getting louder to be heard, we quietly remind them that if they come to us and gently tap us and say our name so we respond, then they'll get our attention A LOT faster! (And it will be a positive attention, at that) Usually I don't mind the loudness, but there are times ... like this Sunday at the Mexican restaurant when I was teaching dd to say "gracias" - and we say grahssy-us - but she tried it a couple times and loudly pronounced that if you say "Grassy" and "A**" You get "gracias" - Well we don't use the A** word in our house, nor does anyone they're around, so it was pretty funny b/c she had no idea that one shouldn't say that word, much less loudly in restaurant Ah, kids!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
so there are SEVERAL things i see wrong with this, but the first is; what happens when he is in danger? . You have taught him that screaming is bad; when it is not.

op: sorry no advise; although my husband thought it would be funny and cute to have our son grunt when he wanted more food instead of screaming; sooooo now when we are out eating what does my almost 14 month old do; GRUNTS! I could kill my dh!
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

omg that is HORRIBLE advice I hope no one does this!!!! why are you punishing a 1 year old who is discovering his voice?? a parent needs to be a facilitator and provide a necessary distraction, not punish a baby for vocalizing.

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

is your house childproofed? From the time dd was a wee thing, I 'd say no screaming use your indoor house. people thought I was crazy but she stopped screaming. and is used to the reminder.

You can say no screaming use your indoor voice and leave him. physically remove yourself. or put him in his crib until he's quiet.

and when he's outside, remind h im this is an ok place to be loud.

we also teach htem how to be excited quietly. I see you're excited how else can you show me how happy you are. You can clap? you can jump, you can smile.

its basically persistance.

I personally woudlnt be ok w/ being punitive at this age.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote