Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
hajenkatt
Registered Users

Need advice on salvaging CDs

I took the kids to their grandparents for three weeks. I came back and after a week of adding to my diaper pail realized that my husband (in a very uncharacteristic move) did not wash the dipes in the pail while I was gone. I just went to do a load and found out I have MUSHROOMS growing out of my diapers. Not mold. Not mildew. But honest-to-god gigantic mushrooms growing out of the ones on the bottom. I am so angry I could just spit.

We are using all cotton Snap-to-fits. Is there ANY way I can salvage these diapers?

Update:

We chucked the whole bag (as you could see from the photos). By the time Hubbie got home I knew it must be a lost cause, but I made him sort through the dipes anyway. I figured that would be a fitting punishment, to start.

My son is nearly two and has shown interested in potty-training, so I don't know that I want to replace everything I lost (which was 10 or so dipes--Usch. Just typing that number hurts).

I have a really old stash of dipes that I am thinking of using, but all the velcro needs to be replaced. We haven't found the foot-pedal to our sewing machine after the move, so I am trying to get the logistics on THAT worked out.

Otherwise, I didn't kill my husband or break his legs. Though I did tell him it's a damn good thing I don't like diamonds or I would be expecting some serious bling this weekend.

An added bonus was that the garbage men didn't fall over when they hauled the shrooms away. I wouldn't have wanted to be liable for that.

Last edited by hajenkatt; 07-03-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Update
hajenkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
oldmanpants
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need advice on salvaging CDs

Holy cow
Bravo for science!
Sorry I don't have any advice... not to make light of your dilemma (I think I'd kill DH) but think about a time years from now when you'll tell this story and laugh about it

Last edited by oldmanpants; 07-01-2008 at 11:44 AM.
oldmanpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where the heck did the mushrooms come from?!?!?!?!
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
sherrydeanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bleach, definately. If you have a top loader, I'd boil some water and add it in to make the wash super hot, as well.
www.hyenacart.com/BetterBums Fridays at noon
sherrydeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Bean
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh my goodness!!! I wouldn't even know what to suggest.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yikes! I'd probably take them outside and spray them off with a hose, then soak in bleach for awhile (not too long or it will kill the diapers). Then do a wash with oxyclean and some ecover softener because they are going to be hard as a rock after being de-gunked.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
amiemarie7
Registered Users
seller

I SOOOO KNOW ITS NOT FUNNY, BUT AT THE SAME TIME IM LAUGHING AS I TRY TO VISUALIZE THIS. i had know idea that could even be possible. cant mentionn this to y hubby, he may freak.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

if it were me?

I'd put them in the trash and start over......

As much as that would hurt, I really don't think I would even waste my time trying to fix them.

I'd find a way to get an extra little stash of cash and go get new...then tell dh sorry you shoulda washed them

SS that happened to you, that is wow.....incredible but so not cool!
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YOWZA . . .

In my wildest dreams I could never have imagined anything quite like that. When you said mushrooms I believed you that it was real mushrooms, but somehow I didn't think it would look like THAT. I don't think I could send these pics to DH. I have a castiron stomach and I was sort of throwing up a little in my mouth looking at those pics. DH couldn't handle it. They do look a lot like penises

I'd be at DH if that happened to my dipes. I'm definitely in the toss them out camp, even if they were dipes you really loved. Like one previous poster said "what's been seen can't be unseen". Even if you detox the heck out of those dipes you will always know what once existed on them. I'm really sorry! Don't let your DH out of this one easily!

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
I'm impressed they grew that big. I tried growing some once with this kit and couldn't even get them to grow!

So... What kind of dipes are in there?
I'm curious to know what they were as well. And seriously, gross. I would toss them, I wouldn't even try and clean them. Even if I was brave enough to clean them I would never use them again. I would just keep picturing them....

DH would be paying for my diaper shopping spree after that for sure, and I would buy whatever I wanted
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote