Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why don't people breastfeed?

Several of my breastfeeding friends and I have recently been discussing why people don't breastfeed. With all the benefits, we are curious why people choose not to breastfeed. I realize there are some circumstances where a mother or baby is physically not able to breastfeed, and that's not what I'm wondering about. If you didn't breastfeed or breastfed for a short time, I'd love to hear how you made your decisions. Note: The purpose of this thread is not to slam other's decisions. Please share.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

I breastfeed, but a close friend told me she wouldn't because it is "icky." This said while I was nursing KB.... So I told her to imagine her dear child getting milk right from the cow, is that somehow less icky?

I think two of the main reasons are: 1. It takes work to learn to bf. It can be very painful and frustrating. 2. You are much more tied down to baby. It's a crimp on mommy's lifestyle. Even if you pump and/ or supplement, breastfeeding is sometimes too "attached" for some women.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I know my mom chose not to breastfeed because my dad said he'd leave her if he did. Personally I would have said "buh-bye!" but she wasn't as strong of a woman then like she is now!

I chose to stop breastfeeding at 6 months because of milk supply issues.

With my second daughter I'm currently breastfeeding and she's 9 months old.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I was BFing. I wanted to until DD was a year old. BUT...I had a really bad yeast infection in my breasts, and it took 3 rounds of diflucan and an antibiotic to make it go away. Even now, one of my breasts is still kind of tender. Dealing with painful nursing for 3 months as well as having my milk supply start to diminish (I think b/c of the antibiotics?), I wasn't making enough milk anymore, and I was jaded from the constant pain. Hopefully w/our next baby, I'll be able to keep nursing. I didn't want to stop so soon.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom nursed, my sister nurses, my friends all nurse. But in my husbands family (several states away) no one nurses, none of their friends nurse. It was hard enough figuring how to do it will all of the support I had, I can't imagine trying in a environment where no one breastfeeds.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance View Post
My mom nursed, my sister nurses, my friends all nurse. But in my husbands family (several states away) no one nurses, none of their friends nurse. It was hard enough figuring how to do it will all of the support I had, I can't imagine trying in a environment where no one breastfeeds.
NO ONE in my family nurses and they think I'm weird for doing it. IT IS hard doing it without support and that rang true with my first because I gave up, quitting was the only thing any of them supported me in. Now that DD is 9 months old, everyone keeps saying stuff like "You better stop now before she doesnt let you" and "isnt she a little old for that??"
It drives me NUTS. But that isn't going to stop me!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
mamachandi
Registered Users

I bf'd all 3 (currently bf'ing my 3rd,she's 18mo...)my oldest is 12 and she was bf'd until 2 1/2 and my 2nd as well til 2 1/2. i did not have any support. My 2 sisters said they bf'd but they only til 6 weeks. everyone in my family thinks I am gross for doing it so long. But I could give a crap what they think,haha...I do think it must be hard for *some* women to bf if they have no support but i *do* think it is a weak excuse if you are informed and educated about the benefits and still don't do it. The baby deserves to get the best food possible, but thats my opinion,not to make anyone upset...
I did it and did not have any supprot. I don't know how I became so tough even at 22 when i had my 1st...I am thankful though. It is sad though if you *can't* due to physical issues and you want to...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ijust wanted to add here, that i dont think anyone choose to bottle feed becasue they dont want to do what is "best"
Everyone has differnt ideas. I know several young teenage moms, who did extended breastfeeding( one was 14 when she had her baby and BF for 2 years)
I also know severeal VERY educated moms,who just decided BFing wasntbest for them inthere own situation.
We all do the best that we can. Breatfeeding does NOT make you a good mother. Feeding your baby and loving them does...
Lets be nice please...

Last edited by nothing_butt_cloth; 10-12-2006 at 11:44 AM.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
Ijust wanted to add here, that i dont think anyone choose to bottle feed becasue they dont want to do what is "best"
Everyone has differnt ideas. I know several young teenage moms, who did extended breastfeeding( one was 14 when she had her baby and BF for 2 years)
I also know severeal VERY educated moms,who just decided BFing wasntbest for them inthere own situation.
We all do the best that we can. Breatfeeding does NOT make you a good mother. Feeding your baby at all does

Lets be nice please...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
We all do the best that we can. Breatfeeding does NOT make you a good mother. Feeding your baby and loving them does...
Lets be nice please...

BRAVO!!!!!