Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
lkarp
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nursing strike -- how did you get through it? (long)

M has been on a nursing strike the past couple of days. I think she may have Fifth's disease (slapped cheek), so is not feeling very well. She has totally refused nursing during the day as well as at bedtime, which is totally unheard of. I've had a little luck nursing her in the middle of the night when she is half asleep. She won't take BM from a cup and has never been on formula. Is the little BM she gets now enough or do I need to try supplementing with formula during the day? She was nursing at least 6 times during the day just a few days ago.

My biggest fears are that she'll wean before she turns a year in one month or that my milk will dry up. I've been pumping to relieve discomfort, but was only able to express a couple of ounces even when I felt full and engorged.

Any BTDT advice?
lkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing strike -- how did you get through it? (long)

Sorry you're having trouble! I'm not really an expert on this or anything, but I'll throw out a couple thoughts here. 1) usually babies dont wean at this age on their own, so most likely you can get through this and get her back to nursing for quite some time more - I know its tough right now, but hang in there and she will pull through 2) try pumping more and often to keep your supply up and then you can feed her the pumped milk, it might take a little while but you can learn to get more out, try some breast massages while you are pumping and just keep trying it 3) try giving her the milk with a little syringe, its kind of like a medicine dropper and you can put it right in her mouth towards her cheek and squirt a little in at a time, does she like to drink from a straw, a new cup, anything to make it interesting? Is she taking in water or eating much?

I'll let you know if I think of anything else, hang in there!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advise, just

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS did this and I was in tears. It lasted 3 days and he didn't eat anything else. he wound up nursing just fine afterwards. Pump frequently (every 2 to 3 hours) to keep your supply up for your DD for when she feels better. The post about using the syringe was another great idea. Just keep holding her close, without a shirt when possible. Don't try to push it. I found the more I pushed the nursing with Alex when he was on strike, the more he resisted. Make sure there is lots of skin contact, though, and she will come around. It will calm and soothe her just knowing you are there and love her even when she isn't nursing! Good luck and she will come around!!

Oh, and if you can, hold her, or sit near her while pumping, that may help your milk come down.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds has done this a couple times, both when he was sick. After a few uncomfortable days for us both, he has always picked up nursing again with plenty of enthusiasm.
I found that me being super-full actually made it less likely that he'd nurse (day and night) - the more I pumped, the more he seemed willing to nurse a little (plus it kept up my supply). So in addition to pumping several times during the day, I would pump until I was almost completely empty before going to bed, so that he could nurse at night without getting flooded.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope things get easier soon, Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
homesick742
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is on a nursing strike. It, too, was from an illness. He is now on day 9. It stinks. My dh insists he has weaned but I know otherwise. I was pumping 4 times a day but my FIL came and I can't be as free about it so I've been down to 2 times a day. He will take it from a cup but will not nurse from my breast. It is so frustrating to me! He screams bloody murder. He is the only one of my 4 to go on a nursing strike. And I can't believe this could last 4 weeks or more! I thought nursing strikes lasted a few days at most. I really hope I can keep up pumping. Anyway, I didn't mean to go off but I am frustrated at my ds's nursing strike as well. And I shed many tears too. Hugs, momma.
homesick742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. You ladies are lucky. I don't know what I'd do if DS went on a nursing strike. My supply is low enough as it is, and I'm lucky if I get 1/2 oz when I pump (although I know I have quite a bit more than that, but I just can't pump any for some reason). My milk would probably dry up and he'd have weaned himself without meaning to. *hugs* Good luck ladies!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote