Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
KalicoKAT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UPDATE: AFP Results, Ultrasound, Etc.

I really, really tried to go to my ultrasound and genetic screening appointment optimistic. I did some reading to set me mind at ease about the false positives and how if the result is less than 1 in 200, I would be called in.

My appointment was at 1:00 pm and DH was to meet me at 12:45 so we could handle this news together. At 11:45, he sent me a text message saying his work truck broke down and he was waiting on a tow truck to get back to the office, so he was not going to be able to make it. I called my mom 6 times between her cell phone and home phone and could not get anyone to answer. I did not want to go to this appointment alone. On a whim, I called my best friend who lives about 45 mins away to see if by any chance she was up visiting her mom this week, and she was just about to leave her mom's. When I explained what was going on, she left the kids with her mom, and came right over so she could go with me.

After about 30 minutes the genetic counselor got to the core of why they had scheduled me ASAP. According to the bloodwork, everything was normal except the ratio of a child having down's syndrome. I know many do not put much stock in these numbers but these numbers scared the hell out of me. According to labcorp, my chances are 1 in 18. After a little more discussion, I proceeded to have my level 2 ultrasound performed. Everything measured right on with my conception date, with no defects visually noticed. I was then given 2 choices, go home and wait until delivery or an amniocentesis.

I went home a confused and a crying mess. I know the risk involved with the amnio but I am also informed of my risk of stress during pregnancy with my ailments, especially hyperthyroidism. I am already at risk of premature labor and PIH /Pre-E due to prior medical history, but the thyroid increases these odds by 50%. DH and I have decided we want to know for sure so if there is going to any special needs with our baby, we can be better prepared. Otherwise my stress level is going to be through the roof and with DH and I still living separated and not know exactly when that will change, the less stress the better, for me and the baby. So I called yesterday and scheduled the amniocentesis for next Wednesday morning.

So far my odds with this pregnancy are not fairing so well
Heterotopic pregnancy - 1 in 300,000
Hyperthyroidism - 1 in 1500
PIH/Pre-E - 25%
Trisomy 21 - 1 in 18

You think I would be playing the lottery with these numbers.

On a lighter note... we will be welcoming another baby boy to our family.
KalicoKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE: AFP Results, Ultrasound, Etc.

I am going through the same thing Mama. I have a 1:91 chance of have a down syndrome child and will be seeing the perinatologist Tuesday. I am a mess, but I am trying to be optomistic.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

momma. So.. they didn't see any defects in the ultrasound at all? All 4 chambers in the heart?
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
momma. So.. they didn't see any defects in the ultrasound at all? All 4 chambers in the heart?
If so, that is a VERY GOOD sign. There are OFTEN congenital heart defects with children with down syndrome. My niece was born with down syndrome over 12 years ago, and is the most intelligent, beautiful and kind hearted little girls you will ever know.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama. I'm so glad your awesome friend was able to be there for you. I will be thinking of you and hoping you get some good news from your amio.

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Praying for you mama.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
earena
Registered Users
seller

Try to stay positive and not to stress, yeah right! I think the amnio is a good idea in your situation, it can put your mind at ease either way.

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
violetflower
Registered Users

Old 08-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
robertribeye
Registered Users
seller

and more . I would do it to put my mind at ease too. My SIL had bad results and had an amnio and it was negative and everything was fine. she was a wreck before that. Being stressed isn't good for the baby if you can help it. Thank goodness for good friends. Glad someone could be with you. Congrats on a boy!