Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
How many dried beans for a crock-pot with ham?

Ok, I have 2 16 oz. bags of white beans to make ham and bean soup with and a large crock pot. We are feeding 6 family members and want to have left overs. I have a nice sized ham bone with good amount of ham on it but how much of the DRIED beans do I need? I am starting with them first, today.

TIA!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many dried beans for a crock-pot with ham?

I use one bag (16oz) of dried beans soaked overnight to make navy bean soup with ham for 3 people with leftovers, so I'd use both bags for 6 with leftovers. HTH
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat View Post
I use one bag (16oz) of dried beans soaked overnight to make navy bean soup with ham for 3 people with leftovers, so I'd use both bags for 6 with leftovers. HTH

Thanks Kristin! I am off to start now!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I use 1 bag mixed beans plus 1/2 bag navy beans to feed 6 people, with leftovers...but, 4 of those 6 people are kids.....and i soak at LEAST 2 days....you'll notic that they really start to bubble that second day, way more than the first day....
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What else do you add? Onion? Spices?
TIA!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
stacim
Registered Users
seller

I just made bean w/ bacon soup in a 6 quart using 2 lbs. great northern and a half pound of navy. We got two meals out of it for a family of 6 (only 5 eating a quantity worth counting).

Just a side note: I have found that I can cook great northern beans w/o soaking and they do just fine. We also like to make our bean dishes a day before we eat them. They taste much better the next day.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
I use 1 bag mixed beans plus 1/2 bag navy beans to feed 6 people, with leftovers...but, 4 of those 6 people are kids.....and i soak at LEAST 2 days....you'll notic that they really start to bubble that second day, way more than the first day....
Ok, I am a BEAN moron LOL I started the beans yesterday, did a pre-cook for 10 min. let them sit for 1 hour rinsed and then put in the crock pot and let them cook over night. I turned off the heat and now have turned it back on for this evenings meal with the ham in it. The beans are TOO soft now! I cannot get this right and it's driving me mad!

I need someone to hold my hand while I make beans
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As one of my ex-roomates dubbed me the "Crockpot Queen", I have a lot of experience with crockpots and beans (just don't ask me to make cookies - that's a very hard task for me not to burn them)! Anyway, I never presoak my beans and just add them to the water and whatever else I put in there. It takes a 16 oz. bag of dried beans about 4-5 hrs. on high to be completely cooked (with no other things in there but spices, etc.). Just in case you wanted to know for future beanie recipes!
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat View Post

I just made some great northern beans and ham about a weeks ago. 1 bag for 2 and we still have a small bowl of leftovers ! (which I should probably toss out now)