Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
my3punkins2005
Banned
seller

Exclamation almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help!

I need some help / info my nephew is almost 2yrs( june 12th) and i have only heard him say mama mostly he just points and grunts or screams and my sister just gives him whatever he points at ..she says he will say a sentence just out of the blue and rarely..the sentence will be what he has heard someone else say mostly what the grandparents have said (he lives with the absent fathers parents home..lol long story)..i have never heard him say a sentence and no one else on our side of the family has either..is this normal in an only child who is getting ready to turn two?...i have three boys and mine all seemed to talk early/on time..we have a doctors appt(pediatrician) at the same time and she says she is going to ask her after everyone in the family has been harping on her about him not talking..just hopeing for some info..could this be and early sign of a learning disability..father supposidly has ADD i personally think he was mentally slow..BUT..thats just me lol !
my3punkins2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: almost 2yrs and not talking? Please help!

My ds is three and a half and didn't start talking until he was 2. And that was only one word at a time. He didn't start putting together little sentences until he was close to three. Now, in the past month, he is finally starting to use longer sentences.

We were worried for a long time. We thought he might be autistic, we thought he had a hearing problem (he doesn't, we had that checked). We had him in speech and occupational therapy (which was VERY expensive and he had minimal improvement with it).

Now, I am convinced that some kids just don't talk when they're expected to. I know he's not autistic now because he shows no signs of being. And like I said, he is improving daily, so we are no longer worried. I hope that helped a little.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I urge you to read things about "crystal Children"and "Indigo Children" ... Not saying this is what he is but, it is a possibility. I have read that Crystal Children do not talk until well into their second-third year of life. That they do not have a 'need' to talk cause they can communicate telepathicly.
Check this out.
http://www.crystalchildren.com/autho..._get_ready.htm
Quote:
They also have physical challenges that have already begun to surface. Having loose ethereal bodies to enable inter-dimensional abilities, these children are vulnerable to influences that push them out of their body. This may appear as autism in the first Crystal children.
http://www.starchildascension.org/starchild/what.html
^Indigo and Crystal Children

My 3rd DS did not talk til he was close to 2.5.. Pedi wanted him to go to speach therapy.. I refused.. well, he talked when HE WAS READY to talk..and I promise you this.. the boy has NOT STOPED TALKING YET!!!

Last edited by Tummy; 05-13-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was the same way. He didn't talk until after 2. His doctors had me worried for about half a year and were concerned every time I saw them. He talks like crazy now though!!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Pocket_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read the other replies but my daughter didn't say one word - NOTHING - until she was 2 years old. I think she turned 2 and practically the next day was talking! She's not yet 3 and talking very well now, better than her 4 year old brother.
Pocket_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

i think he's probably fine. people worry about this way too much. kids will talk when they want to talk. if he gets past 3 without saying any sort of sentence then I'd be worried. at 23 months I wouldn't worry yet. it is possible of course that he could have a disability but i wouldn't consider it just yet.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

is it possible he does/can but chooses not to? my cousin dod that until he was six!!!!! he would grunt and point and we would give what he wanted therefor ehe felt he didn't need to us ewords. but we would hear him nattering to himself when he thought no one was listening.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my first talked on time, but then stopped. He has autism.
my 2nd talked INSANELY early. She's a freak in the language dept!
my 3rd understood everything, but didnt talk. With a sibling with autism the Drs and relatives were worried. I was acutely AWARE of the delays. But my GUT, which is so much wiser than my head, said he was fine. When he did start he went from a few words to a few thousand phrases in a few short months. He DOES. NOT. SHUT. UP. He chatters incessantly. I love him but some days my ears BLEED for a break.
My 4th is lagging in the language dept. But he has SO many issues that a few little words are "nothing" at this point. Besides- I think he called me "mama" this weekend (he's almost 16 months)

If your nephew can "bring me the XYZ" or "get your shoes" or looks at what you talk about sometimes its probably ok.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
rds989
Registered Users
seller

I'd say that there's a difference between speech and language, KWIM? Speech is about talking, whereas language is about communication, social skills, personality development, that kind of thing. My ds was a good communicator, but couldn't really pronounce much of anything until after he was 2, and now (at 3.5) he's quite precocious in his speech.

I tend to feel that if the kid's problem is speech, not overall language, then it's not such a big deal. But if it seems like there are languge issues, those can indicate further problems and it might be worth checking up on those.

In our area (Chicago suburbs) parents can get their preschool-age kids screened through the public school system, and if the kids qualify for services, they're free. The good thing about that kind of evaluation is that they tend to put the bar fairly low - they're not going to go on a fishing trip to try to find something wrong. And, speaking from what it's been like to have my dd in physical therapy (not through the school) since she was 16 weeks old, early intervention is often pretty fun for the kids! So that's an option if your nephew's mom wants to be proactive.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other posts. Just wanted you to know my first son was 26 months before he said anything other than mama and dada. Then between 26-28 months his vocab exploded. By the end of 28 months he was talking like crazy. He's 12, almost 13, and hasn't stopped talking since, lol. The most important thing is to model speech. Like when he screaming for a drink she needs to say do you need a drink- or this is a cup- or whatever. It would help to teach him a few signs too so he doesn't get frustrated. Words like drink, eat, more, sleep, all done, etc really help when they can otherwise express themselves.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote