Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Failure to thrive

That's what Haylie was diagnosed as today It seems breastfeeding isn't going so well.

The day she was born, we weighed 7lb 7oz..and today at 5 weeks 2 days old, she weighs................7lbs 7oz Her weight has fluctuated quite a bit but she's right back where she started. The HEAVIEST she got was 7lbs 11oz.

She's fine with my letdown but once it flows and the hindmilk is ready to be eating, she tires and falls alseep. She just has no energy at all. My poor little girl is wasting away.

So, i've been instructed to nurse her every 2 hours, but to also give her a suppliment (pumped milk or formula) after EVERY feeding in order to put weight on her. This is so hard for me...

I have hit so many brick walls with breastfeeding. 2 bouts of mastitis, cracked/blistered nipples, nipple refusal, weightloss, engorgement, etc and it feels like it's all for nothing. My little girl just cant get the hindmilk out. She doesn't try to (even with breast compressions).

The doctor also said that her liver has dropped some. Because of this, the cardiologist had us come in right away. He did another echo and also checked her liver via ultrasound. Everything looks fine in that area so atleast it's not her heart.

Haylie is a lazy breastfeeder. As SOON as i put her to the breast she closes her eyes and falls asleep, using me as a paci, without "eating". This is devestating.

Also, formula makes her sick. Either she's gassy, gets the runs, or throws up. We've tried NUMEROUS types. So the doctor wrote a prescription (so WIC would cover it) for Pregestimil.

At his point I have no choice but to give her formula. My friend Amy pumps for Haylie but obviously it's not enough to not use formula at all. So I have to give it to her. If this to makes her sick then the pediatrician is gonna write a prescription for breastmilk which I can submit to my insurance company. Hopefully they'll approve it and cover milk from a milbank. Seeing as how she's not gaining weight and cant tolerate formula, I would think they'd have no choice but to cover it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you all. Im having a hard time dealing with this. I REFUSE to give up breastfeeding. The plan is to fatten her up and end up back EBFing.
Psst! I started a new blog..Check it out!
Heather81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Failure to thrive

I hope things get better for you guys and you little girls starts gaining. I know how frustrating bfing issues can be
Colleen SAHM to Oliver (06.06) & Lilly (01.09) and a new little somebody in october
~ Loving life in the pacific northwest

my knitting/everyday life blog
olliesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't have any advice, but I couldn't read this and not respond. I am so sorry you are going through all of this.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
My Mood:

*hugs* *hugs*

Hang in there mama, don't give up. You are doing the right thing for your baby. I hope things smooth out for you soon!
Michelle, mom to DD (7/9/99), DD (11/12/01), and DS (4/17/07); wife to DH (8/31/96)
GEM (Green and Economical by Michelle) Cloth
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Users

I'm sorry, that's so tough! hang in there!
cchrissyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Users

You can also look into ways to boost your milk output ie oatmeal,domperidone,fenugreek etc. Pumping and drinking lots and lots of water. My first one was really slow to put on weight too but my second one not so much. Was your daughter jaundiced? My first one was and again it was part of the problem.
aj_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

You can do it!

There is something that fortifies BM and adds calories to it that they use in the hospital. Maybe ask your dr about that? You might be able to add it to your EBM.

Good luck!
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

I hope things get better.
Loving my Life and my Kiddos!
IHA: SKR Sandals 5/6
jdames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

i know its next to impossible not to stress about this situation, but the stress of trying to get milk may actually be hindering the production of milk.

Although I am not sure how you can stop the stress cycle, I could not imagine being in your shoes. Keep it up!
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:
Smile Re: Failure to thrive

I'm so sorry to hear that things have been so rough! Has your pediatrician considered other sources of difficulty besides feeding? My DD had some issues eating for the first two months, and then she was diagnosed with GERD. I am still breastfeeding now, 5 months after the diagnosis. I had several people ask me if I was going to stop when things were rough, but as all Moms know you have to keeping pushing forward. When I was having difficulty, I had to buy a stronger pump. You can rent hospital grade pumps, they have much stronger suction which is supposed to help with supply. Good luck to you, we are sending positive thoughts your way!
chapmanrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote