View Poll Results: Do you Nurse in Public?
Nope, not for me! 7 1.85%
Nope, but I wish I could do it! 9 2.38%
Yes, but we do it discretely! 183 48.41%
Yes, openly and proudly! 157 41.53%
Stopped NIPing past a certain age. 17 4.50%
The Notorious Other 5 1.32%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Do You Nurse in Public?

Just wondering who does, who doesn't, and how we all do it. I was fine NIPing my DD until recently. I get more strange looks now and don't have the chutzpah to keep doing it at her age, so I give her small amounts of solids when we're out and about.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do You Nurse in Public?

we do.

A is 9 months and i still do it, we dont hide but im not trying to purposely flash anyone either

i always wear a tank under my regular shirt so i pull it down, regular shirt up, so nothing is exposed

im more worried about my muffin top hanging out than i am my boob

Steffanie: momma to Brennan(13) Dillon (7) with cf , Ashlyn (6) , TJ (4) and Anderson(1) , born at 29 weeks
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We nurse openly. I try not to call attention to what we are doing but my DS haves being covered and will make a scene. We nursed on a hayride last week.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I voted that I NIP discretely, but I guess I don't know what people consider "openly" vs. "discretely". I don't use a nursing cover, but nobody sees anything either. After 3 kids I've mastered the art of the quick latch. And in 4+ years of bfing, I've only ever had 1 dirty look (that I noticed, LOL) and that was when Oliver was 6 weeks old - what the hell did she think I was going to do when my infant is crying w/ hunger??
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
we do.

A is 9 months and i still do it, we dont hide but im not trying to purposely flash anyone either

i always wear a tank under my regular shirt so i pull it down, regular shirt up, so nothing is exposed

muffin top, ha ha, ditto, except I think mine's more like a 4x4 offroading tire
and my son's only ~5 mos., but I'll keep doing it when he's older, just TRY to tell me something negative about it... LOL
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
we do.

This is me exactly except my baby is over 11 mosnths old.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Michigirrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes! Kahlil is soon to be 19 months old and we still openly breastfeed in public. I was very insecure about it in the beginning but that got old real quick, especially with a crying, hungry baby. You lose all inhibition when you know your child is hungry. I haven't had any problems (surprisingly) from other people here in LA. However, I was recently asked to stop nursing on the playground at the church where my son attended a Mother's Day Out program. Needless to say, he no longer attends the program. If someone has an issue with me nursing, it's THEIR problem, not mine. I will comply within reason, of course!!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
jrachau
Registered Users
seller

I voted discreetly. I mean that I try to be as discrete as I can but do not cover. DD won't go for it but I can manage to not show much usually. She is 9mo now and is getting some table food and is getting harder to NIP as she is so easily distracted. So now she sometimes gets some table food and then we nurse when we can find a quiet place. Not b/c I don't want to NIP but b/c she just does better. I nursed my DS until 22months and still did in public when needed. I've had a few looks but never a comment. If someone doesn't like it they can look away/move/leave whatever.

ETA: Just got back from Disney World and we nursed everywhere: Tram, monorail, boats, rides, shows, etc. Noticed a few others too.

Last edited by jrachau; 10-21-2008 at 03:09 PM.
jrachau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Dd is 14 months and we nurse whenever, wherever and don't give a hoot who is around us. I don't wear special nursing clothes or use a cover either. Don't like it? Don't look!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted "Yes, but we do it discretely!". On some days we do it openly but it depends on my mood I'm proud to be a nursing mommy though
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote