View Poll Results: Santa - what do you do?
Go with the flow (red suit, North Pole, presents...) 69 60.00%
Tell them there's not such thing as Santa from the start 25 21.74%
Tip-toe around the subject as much as possible 10 8.70%
Something else? 11 9.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
SMML
Registered Users
seller

Santa - what do you do?

I'm not a fan of the "Santa" thing b/c I don't like lying. Now that I have a son I have to figure out how to deal with it (thankfully not until next year, but I need to get this figured out). I don't want my child to be the kid that everyone hates b/c he says "My mommy says there is no Santa," but I also don't want to lie about it either.

We do give thanks during this time for Jesus being born, and so I plan to share the story of Jesus with DS, but for us, Christmas is mostly about sharing love and giving in the "spirit of Santa."

Do you discuss Santa in a way that avoids telling a lie? If so, please share.
SMML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa - what do you do?

For me, Christmas is about Jesus. I let the kids watch the episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse where Mickey saves Santa, and whatever other Santa shows they want. If my dd asks, Santa fills the stockings. I tell her that everyone believes something different about Santa. I tell her the fable, then I tell her the real story of St. Nicholas. That he was a Christian and a great man and he is best known for filling a stocking with money and paying the dowry for a poor man's 3 daughters who would have otherwise been sold into slavery. He saved those girls. That's how the story of "Santa" started.

ETA: Here's a website about St. Nicholas. It's really interesting. www.stnicholascenter.org

Last edited by Momma_Rock; 12-05-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Momma_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
AguaViva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 3yo, but we tell him about St. Nicholas and how "Santa" came to be. We make sure that he knows that Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus' birth. We'll have to cross the "Santa's not real" bridge when we come to it - I'll be watching the thread to see what others say!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Coming from a mom who's run into "Achow" (Lightning McQueen) and Mater at a car show, has driven through Radiator Springs, and has a few Transformers parked in our apartment complex, we just go with the flow. We love to make believe. This is just part of it.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Katiebear
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am not sure how to deal with Santa yet. DD is 18 months this year at Christmas, so she doesn't get it yet.

Personally, I'm of the mind that my husband and I work really hard to be able to afford to buy her presents. We don't want her to think that there is some mythical man that comes and hands out stuff for free. We work and save money to buy nice things - that's how the world works. I'm not against the magic and wonder of Christmas, but I feel bad lying to my kid (not to mention that the idea of Santa coming into the home is a VERY frightening concept for some children!).

I thought that maybe we would tell her that Santa gives toys to families that don't have very much money. This is true in our city, with various charities like "Santa's Anonymous". I'm not sure that this would work when she's older, as I would be very embarrassed to hear that she said "Ooh, you must be poor" when another kid tells her about what they got from Santa that year. ::shrugs:: I know that we don't have to worry about it for at least another year.
Katiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
momof4girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi,
I felt the same...didnt want to lie.
When my 14 yo old was little, I never said there was a santa, never said there wasnt.... She got presents that had her name, but no from, then presents from mommy. I never said either way and let her come up with her own determination as she got older and could understand.
We do the 12 days of xmas, where the kids get a present ($1 or under) in the stocking the 12 days before. Those are made known they come from mom/dad.
Anyway, I understand your dilemma.
momof4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't say either way either. Penelope asked me one day if he was real, and I had to say, "no." I told her the story of St. Nicholas and the purpose of it. We definitely celebrate Christ's birth. I also try to push that Christmas is ti have a giving spirit.

Also, I tell her that if kids or adults talk about Santa to just listen when they talk about it and not to say that you don't believe. It's worked so far.
August, 5 (VBAC), and baby girl, Artemis (VBAC #2), born 10/10/10
This person smiles when they do laundry; I don't!
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I treat it like anything else Fairy Tale- princesses, unicorns, etc.

I love telling my 2 yr old about Santa and he is excited. My 8 yr old just asked a few months ago if he was real and I said "What do you think?" She said "Come on, Mom. Just tell me!" So I did. Now her and I help the boys get excited about Santa and I make jokes to her about it. Those 7 yrs she believed do not seem to have harmed her

Now, what I do not agree with is parents going out of their way to keep Santa alive b/c when the kids do finally figure out (and of course they all will at some point), they realize their parents lied all that time.

My dd asked me why we made up all that about Santa. I told her b/c it is fun- a big game of pretend.

HTH!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Christmas is about Jesus for us. We still have a tree, do presents, and all that other fun stuff. Santa is pretend, and our kids will know it from the start. We can still make-believe and have fun with it, but it won't be the focus of our celebration, and we will make sure our kids know from the start that he's pretend.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
momtomy4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
Christmas is about Jesus for us. We still have a tree, do presents, and all that other fun stuff. Santa is pretend, and our kids will know it from the start. We can still make-believe and have fun with it, but it won't be the focus of our celebration, and we will make sure our kids know from the start that he's pretend.
Great minds think alike, lol!! This is how we do it exactly!!