View Poll Results: When BFing in public do you cover up?
Always 73 18.96%
Never 126 32.73%
Depends on location or people around me 179 46.49%
N/A because I avoid Nursing in Public 7 1.82%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
k8secondo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you cover up when NIP?

We had nurse-in at the mall here recently because a mom was being harassed by security guards for BFing her child. She was being discreet, but was asked to leave. So the local moms staged a nurse-in to help promote BFing in public. But at the nurse-in, 95% of the moms were using nursing covers or blankets. I only saw 2 moms nursing without covering up. The news coverage was totally uneducated and was talking about how nursing moms "always" use "hooter hiders" and other nursing covers. I don't. Does this make me un-discreet? I was just wondering how many nursing moms cover up in public or not.

k8secondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Mockeh
Registered Users

Re: Do you cover up when NIP?

I don't cover up. It's not like you can even see much anyway. I lift my top up and am more concerned at people see my post-baby tummy than my boob!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
aliks
Registered Users
seller

If I'm around a certain few ignorant people I will, because I don't want to hear the comments. Their minds will never change and I don't want my son to hear it. But other than that, no. I've only had one person in public say something to me and I stayed cool. I did use a cover in the beginning when we learning how to nurse because I wasn't as confident.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
mamasewsbest
Registered Users
Formerly: Senzafine
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliks View Post
I did use a cover in the beginning when we learning how to nurse because I wasn't as confident.

Now I don't, not necessarily because I ever want anyone to see anything, but because I feel strongly that bfing needs to be normalized in our society, so I am trying to make a statement by nip without a cover...that it is normal, not obscene or dirty and that it should be encouraged, b/c breast is best

I wear nursing tops/bras, so that helps a lot w/discreteness, but my dd is getting to the age now (6 mos) where she is easily distracted, and does occasionally pop off
Girl #3 on the way for January 2013!
WAHM behind Abernathy Naturals.
mamasewsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Catherine87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockeh View Post
I don't cover up. It's not like you can even see much anyway. I lift my top up and am more concerned at people see my post-baby tummy than my boob!
same here. I usually wear my nursing tank underneath my shirt if I know I'll have to Nurse while I am out and thats only because I hate for any skin to show from my tummy or side. I'm not afraid of my boob showing because, well, I don't let it show. I'm not afraid to nurse in public, if they don't like it oh well because my baby has to eat and I'm not going to make him hot and uncomfortable because people don't know how to look away. NOTHING ever shows anyways. I wear big enough shirts out that it's not a problem.

Last edited by Catherine87; 12-20-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Catherine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I couldn't cover if I wanted to. DD rips off the cover faster than I can blink. I try my best to be discreet, and if there's a private place, I go there. If there's nothing available, and I need to nurse, then we go for it
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
ohmmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
totally agree lol!
ohmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
yogababes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second that mama... my boobs are WAY better looking than my tummy these days! LOL... But it depends on the situation and IF I have something to cover up with, who's there and their proximity to me... At Xmas/ I found a separate room, I didn't really want my uncle in law (?) to see my boob! LOL... at the mall? where people are walking by? gimme a break If my kid needs to nurse it's happening "prepared" or not! Funny thing... A friend of mine who is a " one toe in" kinda nurser, heard my story about nursing walking around Target... I was discreet, but she gave me her "hooter hider" I thought that was funny I totally didn't ask/ haven't used the thing yet!
Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
k8secondo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted never because DS hates being covered up. I tried to get him used to it as a newborn, but we had latch problems and I needed to see what I was doing. I'm discreet too, just a flash of tummy here and there. Unless DS gets distracted and pops off!

k8secondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
mrshamilton06
Registered Users

My Mood:

funny enough i hav eno qualms about nursing in public an di dont use a cover when out but when i visit my parents I cover up or go in another room. they are uncomfortable with me "still" nursing my 7m old dd. But they are uncomfortable with my alternative lifestyle anyway so there you go.