Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy C-section moms, please help me. :)

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or what. If its not, please forgive me, maybe it should be in OT? Whatever.
My question/problem is this, since I had my son, nearly 10 months ago, I have been having problems with my incision. It healed ok, I guess but I'm still having problems with it.
I had a c-section because I had placenta previa with DS and since the surgery, my incision has itched like mad.
I've mentionted it to the Dr several times and she keeps blowing me off about it. It doesn't itch a little, it itches so much that I'm sure if I didn't have more self control, I could scratch it until it bleeds. It is distracting and all-consuming how much this thing itches.
Another thing is this, I have no history of having keloid scars occur on my body and I have piercings and have had stitches and cuts/scratches, etc before without incident. Never a major surgery like a c-section though.
So, I think that I have this keloid scar and the INSANE itching because I'm having a local reaction to the suture or something that they used to close me up. My Dr. totally blows me off when I bring this up.
Her only advice is to put some cortisone creme on it and shut-up (not her words, but that's what it sounds like to me!) She also offered to remove the scar when she delivers my next baby via c-section, but I really wanted to have a VBAC next time. However, I am completely considering abandoning my VBAC dreams *just* so I can get this incision scar cut off my body. I cannot imagine going the rest of my life with this evil thing on my body, it really depresses me!
So my question is this, does anyone else have anything like this happening to them? Am I insane? What should I do??
Thanks for reading this far!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: C-section moms, please help me. :)

Mine has itched like crazy since then. I have heard of *lots* of people having that issue. I know of someone who had a major head surgery (cut across her scalp from one ear to the other like a headband) and that incision *still* itches for her nine years later. For most people that I know... it has eased over time. I would consult another doctor though before going for a repeat section. There may be something that they can do for you.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine still itches sometimes 19 mos later, but nothing like what you are describing. I would mention it to another doc - pcp maybe?
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I had a friend with this and it ended up that she had some serious nerve damage - maybe that is the case???
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdpn
I had a friend with this and it ended up that she had some serious nerve damage - maybe that is the case???
Maybe so, I do have numb areas around it. There's no telling what's going on down there! I'll check it out with a different Dr.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama
Maybe so, I do have numb areas around it. There's no telling what's going on down there! I'll check it out with a different Dr.
I have numb areas too. My friends have also said this is very common! Don't worry, just enjoy your little one!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
HumblePie98
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysMama
My baby is 9 months. (had an emergency csection) Mine is still numb, half way up my belly, about to right below my hips. I don't itch though, I burn off to the one side sometimes.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
SugarBunsWool&More
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat
mine still itches sometimes 19 mos later, but nothing like what you are describing. I would mention it to another doc - pcp maybe?
I'll do that, I just don't normally see another Dr other than my OB. I'll have to find one. Stupid incision.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I NEVER HAD A CSECTION BUT MY THOUGHT READING THIS IS MAYBE SOME INTERNAL STITCHES ARE LOOSE OR TRYING TO WORK OUT?? THAT COULD FEEL LIKE THAT AND DRIVE YOU UTS. EITHER WAY I HOPE YOU FIND OUT AND CAN FIX IT.. :HUGS:

sorry for the caps i didnt notice, ive got to click...
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama! I feel your pain!

I just had my third (and final) c-section 10 months ago. I do not have keliod scarring there *however* please read on..

I had laproscopic gallbladder removal and they used "dissolving sutures". I have horrible, large, thick, hard keloid scars where those stitches were used. They never dissolved and I had to cut and remove them myself as the itching drove me INSANE.

My OB explained I was sensitive/allergic to those materials; you may be the same. Demand for any further surgeries that they not use dissolving sutures. Were you sewn or stapled on the outside? Is the itching internal, external, or you cannot tell? I was sewn inside and stapled outside my previous 2 sections, and it caused such horrible adhesions from the scarring inside that it took them 25-35 minutes just to remove the adhesions to deliver my last daughter! Guess what was in the adhesions? The "dissolving stitches" from SEVEN YEARS AGO!

You do not have to "live with this". Document everything, get second and third opinions. If your doctor is blowing you off (and I think it's a red flag that possibly years before your next pregnancy they are saying "your next section) PLEASE GET A NEW DOC. There are ones out there that care, I promise.
ravenonyx is offline   Reply With Quote