Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Cloth4us
Registered Users

Crock pot beef stew?

I have a really big crock pot and everything comes out terrible in it. Anyone have a good recipe for beef stew? Do I brown the meat first? I picked up a "beef spice pack" for the crock pot, but it doesn't say how big of a crockpot to use with 2 lbs of meat. Any ideas?
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crock pot beef stew?

I also have a really big crock pot and most
everything also comes out terrible. I assume because they are meant for smaller crock pots? But stew is one thing I can manage to have come out great! I don't brown the meat first but I think it is more flavorful if you do(not sure....). I just throw in the meat, 1 lb of baby carrots, an onion, the seasonings, and then fill the rest of the space with potatoes and fill with water. Always comes out great!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
lucifugous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a very big crock pot, but I notice it is definitely better when I brown the meat! I always use wine in a good stew and add some aromatic herbs in the last hour of cooking.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

I just toss the stew meat in (not browned) with beef stock, a little red wine vinegar and some spices (salt, pepper, thyme, etc.). Then depending on how long it will be cooking for, I toss the veggies is accordingly so they don't get overdone. I prefer to cook on low for a few hours.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I just toss the stew meat in (not browned) with beef stock, a little red wine vinegar and some spices (salt, pepper, thyme, etc.). Then depending on how long it will be cooking for, I toss the veggies is accordingly so they don't get overdone. I prefer to cook on low for a few hours.
This is how I do it also. I never use water, always broth, even with a seasoning packet. If its too think at the end, then you can always add water after. I also toss my meat in raw and cook on low all day, carrots/red potatoes first & onions/celery last.

The thought of Coke just makes me gag we only do a gravy with roasts, stews we eat over rice with the juices as is
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

I've never done it before (but we are trying it this weekend) you can add a can of Coke to help tenderize the meat... ????

I guess it also makes a really yummy gravy when you use it with the right ingredients.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post
I've never done it before (but we are trying it this weekend) you can add a can of Coke to help tenderize the meat... ????

I guess it also makes a really yummy gravy when you use it with the right ingredients.
It's the acid that tenderizes the beef. Another way to do it (and the way it was done many years ago) is to marinate the meat in red wine (inexpensive wine is fine). It is amazing!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
vsolly
Registered Users
seller

My beef stew is awesome! I cook it in the big crockpot on low for 6-8ish hours, or high for 4-5 hours. It almost fills the pot so it works well.

I buy a 2ish pound roast, cut into 1ish inch cubes, trim off fat. In the bottom of the crock, mix about 1/4 cup flour, 1tsp dry mustard, salt, pepper, toss the meat to coat with flour mix (just eyeball - no need to measure).
Add in 2 lg russet potatoes, 4 lg carrots, 2 med onions, 3 stalks celery, all cut to about same size as meat. Add 1 can chopped tomatoes w/ juice.
Add 1 lg box beef broth (not sure the exact size), a few dashes worchestershire, 1 packet onion soup mix, 3 bay leaves, 2 cloves minced garlic, and about 1 tsp ital seasoning. Stir a bit, but doesn't need much...

Serve with bread &/or salad.
Invite guests, cuz its that good...
Or freeze half to enjoy next month...
Or eat it all over the next few days, cuz its that good...