Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Q's regarding cold or something similar in 15 month old

I need help My 15 month old has some kind of cold or allergy problem at the moment. At first, I thought cold..because of the runny nose and nasal congestion. Then, I thought allergies because of the way he's been rubbing his face...BUT..I'm thinking cold again.

I really don't want to take him to the doctor as I'm not happy with them, BUT - if he NEEDS to go...then I don't have a problem.

I can't get him to take any medicine. He just spits it out if I actually get the dropper in his mouth (which, i don't blame him..it tastes bad..)...so what am I supposed to do? My oldest didn't really get these types of things very often and I haven't really had *too* much trouble administering medicine when necessary...but this little booger won't take anything. ALSO, I've noticed recently that he's not eating much. At first I thought it was a growth spurt (he's weird and usually tapers off with his eating when going through a growth spurt, my oldest is exact opposite)...but it's lasting a bit longer than 'normal' and now he's got this cold thing...??

I feel like if I take him to the doctor, they'll tell me it's nothing....if I don't take him, it'll turn into something and we'll end up in the urgent care clinic.

He's having trouble sleeping because of the nasal congestion....i plugged in one of those gentle vapors things so I'm hoping that will help...but...as far as not getting him o take any medicine...what can i do, short of medicine, to help him??
Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Q's regarding cold or something similar in 15 month old

We made it through the night, I guess I'll try to figure out something today.

Thanks anyway.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
tresal
Registered Users

I think they now have infant fast melt decongestant thingies. Where you stick the strip on their tongue and it melts instantly. My 5 year old will take these anytime he's sick but I can't get him to take the liquid triaminic. (unless it's really bad)
Anyhow good luck!!!!
You can rub the vicks vapor rub on his chest and feet too. (my mil swears by putting it on their feet... and it does seem to help)

Good luck!

teresa
Old 11-23-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can usually determine if my dd is sick or allergies.... a runny nose or congestion with cough is allergies as long as the mucus discharge is clear...once it starts changing color then it's a sickness. (don't know if that works for everyone, but that's what helps us determine sickness at our house.)

as far as not taking medicine...trying mixing it with juice to help mask the taste. (Gatorade and pedialyte works well when mixed with it.)

Gentle vapors works great...also, if you take hot showers, try keeping him int he bathroom with you ... the warm air from teh shower and the shower mist will help open up the airways for easier breathing. hth!!
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

If he doesn't like oral medicine maybe try saline solution in the nose. That should help with the runny nose and congestion.

I know what this is like because I am currently battling a cold which I am pretty sure it turning into a sinus infection. My head feels like it is going to explode!!! AAAHHHH!!!

I hope your ds gets to feeling better!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 34mo has it now, so I don't think it's allergies...my 15mo ran a very low grade fever on wednesday, but hasn't since. Now I think today my 34mo old isn't feeling very good. He refused breakfast and then said that the chocolate milk made him feel sick.