Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
mstngmol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should my DD start school??

My DH and I are not seeing eye to eye on this issue...
My DD will turn 5 this August, the cutoff for the school is 5 by October 15. She would be the right age, but I think another year at home would do her good. My DH on the other hand thinks she should start this year, "it's good to challenge her" he say's. She is my baby and it's hard for me to make a decision without letting my emotions get in the way. She is currently in Preschool and doing a great job, we have been working on reading, and she often asks "when do I get to go to school?"
So... WWYD????
Old 01-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should my DD start school??

Studies have show the closer to 6 a child starts school the better they do. Students that start around 5 or younger wind up having troubles around the 3rd grade. I'd wait.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Studies have show the closer to 6 a child starts school the better they do. Students that start around 5 or younger wind up having troubles around the 3rd grade. I'd wait.
Other studies show that it doesn't matter. That a child who enters K early is at the same level by Grade 3 & it does not have an effect on them later.

What are your reasons for wanting to keep her home another year? Do they do academics at her preschool? If so is she behind, ahead or right on track?

My oldest dd was 4 when she started K. Her birthday is in November, cut off date is Dec 31. She's in Grade 5 now & has excelled the entire time.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drearina View Post

Studies have also shown that it really doesn't matter in the long run

BUT if your child hasn't been in preschool, I would wait. If she has and is board, I would move on. IT depends on the child
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
birdseye
Registered Users
Formerly: clothbyl**
seller

My DH started school as a 4 almost 5 year old.

He did not have any trouble academically. In fact, by 1st grade, was was attending the 2nd grade reading class.

However, he did have some social issues. He was always friends with kids that were a year younger than him. He also had trouble in college when it came to making good decisions. He has stated that he probably would have done better if he had had one more year at home before going to college.

You also need to think about 10 years down the road. If you send her now, she will be the last one driving in her class. That means that she will likely be getting rides from her friends. If you wait a year, she will be one of the first driving in her class. In that case, your daughter would be driving friends around (if you or the law allow it, of course). Who would you trust most?? You daughter driving or her friends??

Maybe you could compromise and put her in a good pre-K program. Then she could have the routine and learning atmosphere of school, but not go to kindergarten just yet. This is actually what DH and I have talked about doing if we have a July, August, or September baby.

Just some of my thoughts.

Last edited by birdseye; 01-30-2009 at 04:37 PM.
birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Maybe you could call the teacher; don't tell her your daughter's age, just ask for some readiness indicators that would show whether or not she's ready. I know there are studies for this and that, but I believe that every child is different. Some might do fantastic going early, some would be better to wait.

In fact, call a couple different teachers from different schools and see what they say. You'd get an overall picture then.

ETA: I also love the pre-K suggestion. Great idea, birdseye!
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
Maybe you could call the teacher; don't tell her your daughter's age, just ask for some readiness indicators that would show whether or not she's ready. I know there are studies for this and that, but I believe that every child is different. Some might do fantastic going early, some would be better to wait.

In fact, call a couple different teachers from different schools and see what they say. You'd get an overall picture then.

ETA: I also love the pre-K suggestion. Great idea, birdseye!
This is what I would do before deciding.
Good luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstngmol View Post
My DH and I are not seeing eye to eye on this issue...
My DD will turn 5 this August, the cutoff for the school is 5 by October 15. She would be the right age, but I think another year at home would do her good. My DH on the other hand thinks she should start this year, "it's good to challenge her" he say's. She is my baby and it's hard for me to make a decision without letting my emotions get in the way. She is currently in Preschool and doing a great job, we have been working on reading, and she often asks "when do I get to go to school?"
So... WWYD????
Wow you have a long cut off date. Here the children have to be 5 by June 1st to start Kindergarten which is kinda lame in my opinion. I think the cut off should be later in the summer.

Really all I can say is that some kids do well in school when they just turn 5 and some don't. Back when I started kindergarten the cut off date was in Sept. I started kindergarten when I had just turned 5 it was not in my best interest what so ever. I was not ready but my Parents went ahead and did it. For many years now they've said they should of waited.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

All three of my children were/are hanging out near the cut off dates. I have chosen to wait to send them. I have always said that I would rather keep them home an extra year then hold them back once they are in school. Some kids have no problems and some do. I just feel, for us, the best decision is to keep them home an extra year. So far they have done exceptionally well.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with you. I'd keep her home another year- with preschool of course- since she loves school. I just think that our kids are overschooled and letting her have another year home to play and be a little kid can only be good for her. Soon enough she'll be in the system and have homework and all of the other stresses of school.

I know a lot of 4 1/2 year olds who are excited about going to school. But you have to remember that they really don't have any real idea of what school is. Only what they have heard from other people and seen on TV. It tends to be idealized from those sources. And of course they have preschool which involves a lot more play than elementary school. Even if she does great in K when she is just turning 5- will she be ready for first grade when she has just turned 6? It gets harder as they go up in grades and it is more work and less play.

I am not saying school is all bad. Just that preschoolers don't always realize what "real" school is really like.