Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:
to use or not to use???

So I am deliberating ...I am the old fashion kind of girl, who always wash the dishes by hand, lived in a rented apartment for years with dishwashing machine and never never used it, except for storing pots and pans
Now moved to a house and got myself a dishwashing macihne just to cover the hole between the cabinets LOL
Now I am finding myself too busy (with cleaning a bigger house, homeschooling, wahm orders etc) and feel the temptation to use it but wonder.....
does this spend more water than handwashing?
is it worth it???
is it something that you use every day???

I really would like to know!!!
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:
Re: to use or not to use???

I just recently got a dishwasher, I've only noticed my electric bill go up about $3.00 and I use it once a day. It also uses less water then doing them by hand.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Zabibaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklesmom1 View Post
I just recently got a dishwasher, I've only noticed my electric bill go up about $3.00 and I use it once a day. It also uses less water then doing them by hand.

this is exactly what I wanted to know...so ...you place you dishes from the day there and run a cycle at the end of the day??.. I was thinking about doing this...
$3.00 is not much...
Thanks mama!!
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Zabibaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

come on!!! please!!!
anybody??!!
I would like to know if others use it or not, frequency, etc.
...how about the bills??
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

I'm crazy about mine. I used to wash all my dishes by hand to, even though I had a dishwasher... I didn't want to succumb to the temptation of using it. But I started one day and I never looked back. It saves so much time. My electrical bill is $170 this month... but our rates just went up. Also we don't have a gas bill, so that bill is for every appliance in our house. Although I don't use my dryer at all.

Just try it a couple times and see what you think... and then watch your bill. At least you'll know.

ETA... And I just place the dishes inside the washer all throughout the day and when it gets full, I run it. So easy!

Last edited by ElToAnCy; 02-03-2009 at 08:30 AM.
ElToAnCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
does this spend more water than handwashing?
is it worth it???
is it something that you use every day???
yes, a little--less likely if you run water to rinse vs pour one sink full
yes!!
yes!!!

Noah 10
& Enoch 5
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Zabibaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

$170 electrical bill????
gosh isnt that too much??
I just pay 50something...I dont use heater...I dont need it with CA weather.
I have a gas dryer gas cooker.
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabibaby View Post
$170 electrical bill????
gosh isnt that too much??
I just pay 50something...I dont use heater...I dont need it with CA weather.
I have a gas dryer gas cooker.
Yeh, I almost cried when I opened it. It's been pretty cold here... I only keep the thermostat at 60 degrees in the house... but the electricity rates jumped about 10% this last month. That's the killer. I don't get a gas bill though. Last spring my bill was about $75 a month... but I'm thinking this spring it will be worse because of the rate hikes. You're lucky with your low bill... and CA weather.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:

we haven't even turned our heaters on this year as our baseline is already $90-ish and we can't afford more. Thank God the wood stove does an adequate job of heating!

Noah 10
& Enoch 5
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

I love my dishwasher! We live in an apartment right now...but a few years ago we were in a rental house (2 in total) and there was no dishwasher (in either!) so DH bought me a portable one. I loved it too!

I think it all balances out if you wash by hand now....Currently you are using more water with hand washing, but if you use your machine you will use less water, but more electric.

I don't know what your rates are like or how much energy your washer takes (if it is new, chances are it is already labeled an energy saver? Most are)
But I would try it to see if you like it.

We use ours every day...sometimes twice if company comes over or it's a holiday or something.

For us, it's less time to spend at the sink and more time to spend with the kids! Although, our kids LOVE to load and unload the dishwasher too!