Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
braxis03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5 VAX in one visit?

I was unsure of what to do about vaxing our 2nd DD. We vaxed our 1st. We just had our 2 mon appt. yesterday for 2nd DD and I told the Dr. I wanted to delay her vaxes for a while, and of course after an hour of telling me I was doing the wrong thing for my child and others that she would come in contact with, I decided to go ahead and have her vaxed on the regular schedule. So then this nurse comes in with 5 needles and some tube of liquid that they forced down her throat! It was soooo horrible! She took her good old time sticking my baby 5 different times with these miserable vaxes! The baby was screaming and I was crying. I don't ever remember giving my 1st DD 5 shots in one sitting. I remember her 1st couple rounds of shots being 2 in one leg and 1 in the other. And they had 2 nurses come in and do them at the same time! Did anyone else have that many at one time?

Oh, and then he told me that my breast milk was lacking in vitamins and floride and that I need to be giving my baby oral vitamins! I personally think he's crazy and I'm def not giving her vitamins and then he told me that I was to start giving her juice and cereal at 4 months old!!
This is exactly why I chose a home birth and hate taking her in to the Ped!

Thanks for letting me vent!
braxis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
mrscakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 VAX in one visit?

Oh, I'm so sorry you and your LO had to go through that I'd say think about getting a new ped and do lots of vax research before your next well-baby visit. I have nearly driven myself crazy trying to come up with a vax schedule I'm comfortable with, but I do have a supportive NP that we see and our visits are much less traumatic. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

We had I think 4 shots the last time and I thought I would die. It took him I bet 10 minutes to calm down after all of them. Usually we get 2 in 1 leg and 1 in the other. I don't know why it was so many this past time. We also did a bunch of research on vacc.'s and have decided to go with a regular schedule.

As far as the other stuff, I would either change doc's or tell him exactly where you stand on certain things.

4 months is a bit young to be demanding that your child be on solids. Every child is different and I'm sure you can figure out when your babe is ready. And juice isn't at all necessary. That doc should know that children don't need juice if they have an adequate fruit intake. Water is best for thirsty children. Not babies though. BM is the best. And you do not need to give vitamins (IMO) or flouride. My, my. I think I would switch ped.'s if I were you. Too much that you disagree with.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
SarahLee318
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had that many too, I think I cried more than DD but it did take her like 20 min. to calm down, she wouldn't even nurse because she was crying so hard...the last couple of times it wasn't as bad though, she got over it quicker...and so did I.

As far as giving your baby vites, I just take my vites and figure it gets in my breast milk and if I am healthy then I will have healthy breast milk...I made it up but it makes sense to me

Juice and cereal I think is a little much at 4 months, I say the only kind of juice your baby should be getting is Boobie Juice!

Hang int there Mamma, find a new doc. We see a family prac., not a ped....
HUGS.

Follow me on Facebook to see my latest creations!
SarahLee318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
braxis03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It took mine that long to calm down too! I felt so bad for doing that to her! I agree about the boobie juice! I take really good vit from the healthy grocer that are like $40 a bottle, so my milk better be like gold! We are military and I fought to go to a civilian doc because I don't trust the military doc any further than I can throw them. But switching docs is a pain in the butt. trying to get tricare to approve us to go somewhere else is like pulling teeth! Even if we get approved to go somewhere else I don't know if next guy will be any better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLee318 View Post
We had that many too, I think I cried more than DD but it did take her like 20 min. to calm down, she wouldn't even nurse because she was crying so hard...the last couple of times it wasn't as bad though, she got over it quicker...and so did I.

As far as giving your baby vites, I just take my vites and figure it gets in my breast milk and if I am healthy then I will have healthy breast milk...I made it up but it makes sense to me

Juice and cereal I think is a little much at 4 months, I say the only kind of juice your baby should be getting is Boobie Juice!

Hang int there Mamma, find a new doc. We see a family prac., not a ped....
HUGS.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxis03 View Post
It took mine that long to calm down too! I felt so bad for doing that to her! I agree about the boobie juice! I take really good vit from the healthy grocer that are like $40 a bottle, so my milk better be like gold! We are military and I fought to go to a civilian doc because I don't trust the military doc any further than I can throw them. But switching docs is a pain in the butt. trying to get tricare to approve us to go somewhere else is like pulling teeth! Even if we get approved to go somewhere else I don't know if next guy will be any better!
we are military to and don't vax, they tried to scare me into it but I brougt my info and now they ask me about stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like it's time for a new doctor....

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

So sorry mama.. this happened with my first son on his first set of shots ONLY! After that I was like no way... just too much going in with such a little body. So I delay now and catch them up on a modified schedule, I never allow more than 3 at a time and that is only when they are 4.

As for vitamins... i have heard the link with vit. D but we are in sunny California so I don't worry about it.

Juice and cereal at 4 months... yikes.. why mention it now and jump the gun. Your LO is still brand new. Think your ped. might have to many basic 'rules' in his belt and isn't really looking at individual babies. Maybe look into another?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
braxis03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So now that she has already gotten all those shots, how do you switch to a delayed vax schedule? I was looking at Dr. Sears's website and his schedule, but she already got all in one setting, so how do you go about vaxing with the boosters? she is due at 4 months to get the same sequence of shots. And when I asked if they could only do a couple on one visit and a couple on another, they said they don't usually do that. And that it is better for the child to just do it and get it over with.
We are in Sunny GA, so there isn't any lack for vit D here either!
Oh, and by the way, I love your babylegs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew Crafty Baby View Post
So sorry mama.. this happened with my first son on his first set of shots ONLY! After that I was like no way... just too much going in with such a little body. So I delay now and catch them up on a modified schedule, I never allow more than 3 at a time and that is only when they are 4.

As for vitamins... i have heard the link with vit. D but we are in sunny California so I don't worry about it.

Juice and cereal at 4 months... yikes.. why mention it now and jump the gun. Your LO is still brand new. Think your ped. might have to many basic 'rules' in his belt and isn't really looking at individual babies. Maybe look into another?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxis03 View Post
So now that she has already gotten all those shots, how do you switch to a delayed vax schedule? I was looking at Dr. Sears's website and his schedule, but she already got all in one setting, so how do you go about vaxing with the boosters? she is due at 4 months to get the same sequence of shots. And when I asked if they could only do a couple on one visit and a couple on another, they said they don't usually do that. And that it is better for the child to just do it and get it over with.
We are in Sunny GA, so there isn't any lack for vit D here either!
Oh, and by the way, I love your babylegs!
How to go about it? Tell them you ain't doing it. Seriously. The CDC guidelines aren't written in stone. There are age ranges for every vax so even a ped who is staunchly pro-vax should be able to comprehend that all those don't have to be done at the same time. Geez. I'm mad for your baby. Between now and 4mos, do your research and decide what you want to do. Then when the time comes, tell them and make sure that they know that it's not open for discussion. Make sure that you verify with the nurse which vaxes are being given before she sticks your kid. And, just FYI, every clinic is required by federal law to provide you with a Vaccine Info Sheet prior to giving a shot and also to allow you the time to review it. You should get the sheets for the vaxes your child receives, look carefully and make sure those are also right as just another safeguard. Just be firm, mama. You have the right to decide what happens to your child.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote