Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just Another Manic Monday....BSRB Chatter

Morning mamas!

If anyone would like about 6 inches of snow that I don't want feel free to come shovel up my back lawn and I can send it home with you

Todays events...figure out where the nail clippers are, my nails are *way* too long...DS has a haabit of hiding the clippers.

Also need to call the propane company and find out how much it costs a month to heat that house...if its $500+ like DH "calculated" Then we are in a world of trouble and that wouldn't work out...we use natural gas here so he did some sort of conversion...

Anyway off to post before someone else does!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just Another Manic Monday....BSRB Chatter

All right, anyone have tips to avoid overnight stench?

I love using the cloth at night now that both kids are okay with it but in the AM...mostly with DS, I can smell him before he is even down the stairs! It smells very similar to a skunk...

None of our other diapers have the issue and when they are clean and dry they are fine...its just the overnight pee I guess? It smells *horrible*.

Any ideas? I don't want to hurt the elastic on the diapers either....
Old 02-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabiesA&I View Post
All right, anyone have tips to avoid overnight stench?

I love using the cloth at night now that both kids are okay with it but in the AM...mostly with DS, I can smell him before he is even down the stairs! It smells very similar to a skunk...

None of our other diapers have the issue and when they are clean and dry they are fine...its just the overnight pee I guess? It smells *horrible*.

Any ideas? I don't want to hurt the elastic on the diapers either....

Shannon.. we are going through the same problem! Ugh... it makes me feel so bad that she wakes up stinky.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
madeinjanuary
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

morning shannon! wow that's about how much our oil bill is about every other month. sometimes I see a bill everymonth and that is never fun. and its nice of u to offer your snow up but I think I'm good so i'll pass up that lovely offer hehe. I gotta take my dad to the dr today and since the car is still not fixed I have to call a cab. what a big waste of $20. he better not think I'm paying for it. :X
Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinjanuary View Post
morning shannon! wow that's about how much our oil bill is about every other month. sometimes I see a bill everymonth and that is never fun. and its nice of u to offer your snow up but I think I'm good so i'll pass up that lovely offer hehe. I gotta take my dad to the dr today and since the car is still not fixed I have to call a cab. what a big waste of $20. he better not think I'm paying for it. :X
Wow is that what a cab ride costs?! YIKES! I haven't ever used a cab before! I hope it is okay and that you don't have to pay for it!

I called about the heating of the house...year round it would be $340 a month...yeeps. Not so sure DH will like that #. That even includes summer because otherwise it would be $800 a fill up....
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
aranel7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Morning ladies!

Well . . . today at the butt crack of dawn, my Beco must have arrived because it is sitting inside my entryway now. DH must have seen it on the way out. I haven't opened it yet because I'm about to jump in the shower, but I just wanted to share that my reviews (and maybe action shots later) are forthcoming.

I think PUL needs to be eliminated from your nighttime routine in order to avoid the stink. When DD wears a fitted to bed I put her Just Ducky wool longies over it but sometimes she wears an all fleece Snap-EZ pocket with two hemp inserts and that works fine too. There are two reasons why it gets bad overnight; the pee is sitting so much longer than it normally would. Have you ever opened your wet bag on wash day and smelled WAY more ammonia smell than you would during a diaper change? That's kind of what happens overnight. You're talking about more pee that has been in the diaper for longer. Couple that with PUL and you've got more pee that has been marinating in the diaper for longer Also, especially for an older kid, the pee that goes into the overnight diaper is more concentrated. He's probably not peeing all night long at that age, it's probably just one or two sizeable pees that are saturating the diaper. You know how they tell you to use your first morning's urine when you're taking a pregnancy test? Or how it is more yellow in the toilet in the mornings? That pee is what's in the nighttime diaper, so it is more likely to stink than a daytime diaper with less potent pee in it, that gets changed sooner.

Everyday Gourmet with Jennifer Grady Mallowes
aranel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
mommy2roo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel7 View Post
Morning ladies!

Well . . . today at the butt crack of dawn, my Beco must have arrived because it is sitting inside my entryway now. DH must have seen it on the way out. I haven't opened it yet because I'm about to jump in the shower, but I just wanted to share that my reviews (and maybe action shots later) are forthcoming.

I think PUL needs to be eliminated from your nighttime routine in order to avoid the stink. When DD wears a fitted to bed I put her Just Ducky wool longies over it but sometimes she wears an all fleece Snap-EZ pocket with two hemp inserts and that works fine too. There are two reasons why it gets bad overnight; the pee is sitting so much longer than it normally would. Have you ever opened your wet bag on wash day and smelled WAY more ammonia smell than you would during a diaper change? That's kind of what happens overnight. You're talking about more pee that has been in the diaper for longer. Couple that with PUL and you've got more pee that has been marinating in the diaper for longer Also, especially for an older kid, the pee that goes into the overnight diaper is more concentrated. He's probably not peeing all night long at that age, it's probably just one or two sizeable pees that are saturating the diaper. You know how they tell you to use your first morning's urine when you're taking a pregnancy test? Or how it is more yellow in the toilet in the mornings? That pee is what's in the nighttime diaper, so it is more likely to stink than a daytime diaper with less potent pee in it, that gets changed sooner.
yay for beco shots, I really want one please convince me
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Morning Shannon! I hope that house does not cost 500/month to heat We had a 400 bill this year, and boy did that motivate DH to remember to turn the lights off when he leaves a room

I thought about starting the thread like three times, but I've been a scatter brain this morning

So, it's official! X slept through the night without a bedtime bottle! Now, whether this was a coincidence or a fluke, i do not know, but I feel so much better that i accomplished it once I am having a terrible time cutting out daytime bottles, but that's ok with me, if i can just get rid of that bedtime one

I was browsing Spot's yesterday and I saw a wool onesie that is really cute, and pretty cheap too. I think it's a little too big for X, and I know this will sound silly, but i have nothing for bedtime that would match it So I decided to browse Batik Bum again, to see about getting one of her wool onesies. Instead i found THIS! I want it soooooo bad, but i just cannot bring myself to buy it, esp after falling off the wagon for elliot last night I don't want to get completely run over by the wagon But I love these one-piece rompers, but they are not coverless cloth friendly...until now! Ugh. Ok, maybe now i have enabled myself enough. BBL

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity10410 View Post
Morning Shannon! I hope that house does not cost 500/month to heat We had a 400 bill this year, and boy did that motivate DH to remember to turn the lights off when he leaves a room

I thought about starting the thread like three times, but I've been a scatter brain this morning

So, it's official! X slept through the night without a bedtime bottle! Now, whether this was a coincidence or a fluke, i do not know, but I feel so much better that i accomplished it once I am having a terrible time cutting out daytime bottles, but that's ok with me, if i can just get rid of that bedtime one

I was browsing Spot's yesterday and I saw a wool onesie that is really cute, and pretty cheap too. I think it's a little too big for X, and I know this will sound silly, but i have nothing for bedtime that would match it So I decided to browse Batik Bum again, to see about getting one of her wool onesies. Instead i found THIS! I want it soooooo bad, but i just cannot bring myself to buy it, esp after falling off the wagon for elliot last night I don't want to get completely run over by the wagon But I love these one-piece rompers, but they are not coverless cloth friendly...until now! Ugh. Ok, maybe now i have enabled myself enough. BBL
That is so cute! I love it! I am lucky though because a lot of that stuff will never fit Ivy...her inseam is so long. Silly tall children! I love that color too!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Tana. SS about the cab ride

Shannon, I have switched detergents to get rid of AM ammonia stink, and just made sure my diapers are well-rinsed every time. Tide does wonders for me to keep morning stink away. My Allens detergent works fine, and the dipes do not stink any time other than morning when i use it, but with Tide, no stink EVER. Also, i use a spray of Bac-out on the ON dipes before i put them in the wetbag, so it combats the pee smell from hanging out in there, and kills bacteria. I hope you get it figured out soon! I once used BG 3.0s for overnight, and the stench just about knocked me over in the morning!!

ETA: that reminds me: are you still using the PUL covers? that could be holding the pee in and making the ammonia smell stronger. Wool is awesome for letting them "breathe" overnight and keeping stinky ammonia stench away too!

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

Last edited by serendipity10410; 02-23-2009 at 06:42 AM.
serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote