Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!?

My new DS is about 2 wks old! He is small...maybe 6 Lbs now and he was born at 5 Lbs 13 ozs. So, he is a big eater! Well, I don't seem to have enough milk for him! He wants to eat all the time lately....and after he has nursed from both breasts he is still hungry. It is SO sad to see him cry b/c he is hungry! I don't know what to do! He is nursing constantly b/c he is hungry..... I feel SO bad for him! I don't know what to do....
Please help.....
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do I do if I don't have enough milk?!?

I don't know about most 2week olds, but mine nursed all the time too. Nursing is supply/demand, so the more the baby nurses; the more milk you produce. Many babies are fussy because of sensitivities in the mother's diet. My dd wasn't fussy, but in the course of one office visit to her ped. she spit up 8 times because I had cereal for breakfast. She was sensitive to dairy and later we found out soy. When I cut these things from my diet she was a happier baby. Also, you may try the mother's tea or fenugreek. I would not supplement because if you bottle feed more, the less milk you produce and it is just a vicious cycle. I say try the fenugreek, or tea and consult a lactation consultant. OH, and pumping when you are not nursing helps too - the more stimulation the better. Also, isn't it around 2 weeks that they have their first growth spurt? Maybe this will pass.
HUGS to you. Oh, La Leche League would also be a great place for support. There is probably one meeting in your area.
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

He is nursing all the time to increase your supply! Let him nurse as often and for as long as he wants to. Don't supplement with formula, as this will make the problem worse (he will get full, won't nurse as much, and your supply will not increase). See if you can contact someone locally who can help you, maybe help with any latching problems, and basically boost your confidence? Babies were born to breastfeed! Your body knows what to do, if you let it!

My babe, now 8 months old, nursed every 90 minutes round the clock for about 5 weeks!!

Lauren
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And, to add to previous posts....
...drink lots of water
...continue to eat right, and get about an extra 300 calories
...try to sleep (lol) rest
...eat some oatmeal

Finally....keep nursing him.....your supply will increase.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mamma, Keep going. My little one wanted to nurse all of the time. I let him and he grew. By the way it sounds, you little one gained some weight. I would have to say that he would not gain weight if you were not making 'enough milk,' if there is such a thing. A few things I would suggest is also, get a sling like a comfy one. I just got a sling set that my friend loaned me and it is perfect for nursing. That way, your hands will not be tied up all of the time and you can have skin to skin contact that will make him gain weight better too. Also, so what if he wants to nurse all the time, do it he will grow and you will know that he is growing because of YOU. G

The book by Dr. Newman is Fabulous! The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. You library would have it.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like you're getting good advice here!

I would definitely check out a LLL meeting or meet with a lactation consultant.

Finally, as a pp mentioned, growth spurt! They can come at ANY time, not just what the books say (3 wks, 3 months, etc). Sounds like your little one is motoring through one.

Good luck!
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

eat lots of regular (not instant) oatmeal
drink a ton of water
glass of red wine
fenugreek
blessed thistle
mothers milk tea (available everywhere, including wal-mart)
AVOID sage
AVOID caffeine
AVOID soda/pop

Hang in there! My dd was attached to me about 20 hours out of the day when she was young! You can do it!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to add that the wbs site for Dr. Newman is http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html . They have videos on there that can help you to see if the baby is latched on correctly. Watch them they are great! Also, when I first had my son, I know that I used Lactation Consultants A LOT! It would have also been much easier if I would have had LLL help me too. The girls know their stuff. You might ask them to look at your latch and tell you if it is right. http://www.lalecheleague.org/

BTW My little one is 18 months and activly nursing.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 AM   #9
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Everyone has such great advice. I also had a 5lb baby he was so small I was scared but he ate all the time he was at my breast constantley and to top it off he had torticolis so i only fed him on my left breast the right one dried up so he nursed all the time but because of the suckling he managed to make up for the one breast by helping to produce more milk in the left side to meet his needs. when your baby is just sucking he is telling your breast that you need to produce more milk for him. Don't worry and don't give up you are giving your baby the best gift ever. You will not regret it trust me. keep at it and baby will keep growing!!!! also talk to your ped. and don't use formula if you don't have too. oh and one other thing try pumping when baby is calm or sleeping and it has been a while since you last nursed. this way you can kind of see just how much you are producing! If you have not used a bottle yet just freeze what you pump until you are ready ( but don't freeze for longer then 6 weeks) Good luck Mama you are doing the best thing for you baby!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, what they all said...with a couple of other things....

sounds like you have plenty of milk, and the more babies nurse the more milk you make. When watching diapers, though, you need to watch for wet and dirty...wet diapers indicate hydration, dirty indicated digestive activity. Breastfed babies sometimes go WEEKS without a bowel movement, but that doesn't start until they are 6 weeks old or so, so your little one should be having daily bowel movements.

He does have a weight gain, whicch is great! One other thing to keep in mind is that your hindmilk is more nutrient-dense than your foremilk, and also offers great satiety. Try putting your breats on a schedule lol! Nurse him only one the left (for example) for three or four hours, regardless of how many times he nurses, then switch to the right for the next several hours. This way, you are ensuring that he is fully "emptying" each breast and getting the most hindmilk he can.

Some babies nurse more than others, and smaller babies tend to have a harder time learning to nurse efficiently--they often need to nurse more often than babies who are larger. If you do opt for weight checks, be sure theat he is weighed on the same scale EACH time, and the slightest miscalibration can change a new baby's weight significantly.

Keep up the good work!!!!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote