Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
dluciew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is co-sleeping that bad?

My son is 9 month old. He is such a bad sleeper. He's up about 4-5 times a night and at about 3:30 I'll give up and pull him into bed and he'll sleep thru until 8:30. I hate the CIO thing and I've actually tried it the last 2 nights. He stands in his crib and screams bloody murder. So many people say "oh my, you let your baby in your bed - shame on you, you'll pay for that later". My question to you is have you co-slept with your baby? Am I wrong for doing it? Did you baby transition okay to their bed later? What age?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is co-sleeping that bad?

I personally think co-sleeping is amazing/wonderful! I also can never and will never let my kids CIO.

As a person who co-slept with her parents for years I dont see anything wrong with & everything right with it. ALL kids finally decide to sleep on their own, I did at 3yrs & my kids will at some point! A great book is "Three in a bed: The benefits of sleep sharing with your baby" It has great studies in it about co-sleeping & is very interesting on how the west is very against co-sleeping but the rest of the world see's it as normal!

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely not!! DS has slept with us since he was like, a week old. He refused to sleep without something in his mouth, but he would spit the binkie out. I sat there for *4 hours* putting the binkie back into his mouth until DH finally woke up and asked me how long I'd been at it. I told him and he told me to go ahead and bring him into the bed (we'd planned on co-sleeping anyway, but not from the beginning since he was so tiny). We plan to let him cosleep until he decides he's ready to be alone. I know I HATE sleeping alone. So I don't feel that I can expect my son to be able to do the same. I LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I woke up to him stroking my face this morning. We go to bed at 12 and generally don't get up until 10:30-11. Not to mention I never have to get up for him to eat...he just latches on and I can pretty much stay asleep through the whole thing.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

LOVE co-sleeping...it creates such a wonderful bond. We've had a hard time transitioning but we really haven't tried very hard.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

We co-sleep and I really enjoy it! The only complaint I have is that I think it is what keeps him from sleeping through the night. He is a very light sleeper and he goes to bed befioe we do and when we come to bed it wakes him up. We also wake him in the middle of the night by tossing and turning. However, I will say that he is quite the snuggler these days and will purposely root over to me and tuck his head up against me and you can't beat that! I say, you know what is best for your family and that is what you need to do. Some kids are hard to transition, some are not. I personally wouldn't worry about that until I got there.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Nope...Not to start a debate, but merely to state my OWN personal opinion here.....co-sleeping is the absolute best choice..either having the child sleep with you, or using a sidecar/cosleeping attachment..or, at the very least, having the childs crib/toddler bed IN YOUR room with you (and even the AAP recommends that!!!)is VITAL to having a healthy, emotionally secure child. CIO damages childrens' brains, and causes emotional problems. I would rather have a parent SPANK their child than CIO, if that gives you any idea how strongly i feel on this subject.

Here are some links to medical studies that explain some of the damage caused by CIO and why it is absolutely best to co-sleep.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/1...d_body_crying/

http://www.babyminestore.com/newscryingforcomfort.html

http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mc...cosleeping.pdf

http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mc...ime_story.html

http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/sleep.html
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
co-sleeping is the absolute best choice..either having the child sleep with you, or using a sidecar/cosleeping attachment..or, at the very least, having the childs crib/toddler bed IN YOUR room with you (and even the AAP recommends that!!!)is VITAL to having a healthy, emotionally secure child. CIO damages childrens' brains, and causes emotional problems.
100% agree!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

nope!! If it works for your family than why mess with it!!!!! We co-slept until DD was about 7 months old. She's an extremely light sleeper, and would wake up at every little move I made, or if I had to get up to go pooty (which was a lot still at that time). I read the no cry sleep solution and good night sleep tight - and we kinda meshed these 2 theories together. Everyone gets a much better nights sleep now!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
dluciew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After reading those articles now I feel so bad that I tried the CIO with him. I have noticed he's become more clingy to me since. I hope he can learn to trust me again.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluciew View Post
After reading those articles now I feel so bad that I tried the CIO with him. I have noticed he's become more clingy to me since. I hope he can learn to trust me again.
He'll be okay. And I just wanted to point out that in that first article that talks about brain damage, they are referring to newborns, and your baby is much older than that.

And I don't think theres anything wrong with co-sleeping as long as you both are getting sleep. We co-slept for a long time until we moved and I didn't have a bed anymore. I just had a mattress on the floor and to keep from having killer pains in my legs I had to toss and turn, which kept DS up and screaming. (since he liked to stay latched on all night) Anyways, we did CIO for a couple days, and he's fine now. We "co-go", where he falls asleep with me and then I put him in his crib. He sleeps all night, is well tempered, and everythings great. So I wouldn't worry about anything if I were you. Everything will turn out okay.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote